The Sixteenth Minute.

By profiling dozens of students a semester, FM tries to fulfill its namesake proclamation by Andy Warhol that “in the
By S. F. Brickman

By profiling dozens of students a semester, FM tries to fulfill its namesake proclamation by Andy Warhol that “in the future, everyone will be world famous for 15 minutes.” For our editors’ issue, we figured we’d check back in with a few students cruelly relegated to comparative anonymity after appearing in FM to see what a difference we made, and whether they’d been up to anything since we last checked in. We hadn’t and they hadn’t. Perhaps FM should consider a name change to plus ça change.

Michael B. Jobbins ’04 and David B. Adelman ’04

Last April, FM profiled Jobbins and Adelman as the ultimate odd couple. Adelman was the president of Harvard Students for Israel (HSI), while Jobbins served as treasurer of the Palestinian Solidarity Committee (PSC). These days Jobbins is no longer the treasurer of HSI (though he has founded the illustrious club Harvard Lovers of the Garden State), and Adelman has resigned as president but remains on the board of PSC. Last year, they managed to keep the serious nature of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict low-key in their personal relationship. Since then, it’s been so far, so good. “We’ve only sent each other to UHS twice, so that’s got to be a good sign,” says Adelman.

Travis G. Good ’04

Good, featured in a February 2002 issue of FM, became instantly famous, not for his academics, his extracurriculars or his looks. No, it was for his luggage. Instead of the standard backpack, Good prefers to transport his books in the unconventional rolling suitcase. Now, almost two years later, Good still sports luggage, but he upgraded his roller bag to something “a little spiffier.” He now uses a TravelPro with replaceable roller blade wheels.

“It was a funny thing to get noticed for,” Good says, “considering I am pretty theatrical. I would have expected to be written up for something more along those lines.” Furthermore, he complains, “As for having more people use luggage, I think FM killed the trend with that article. I think it really could have caught on, but to be completely honest, the one other person I saw using luggage before the article stopped using it after it came out. I can only wonder what could have been.”

All in all, his 15 minutes of fame ended with few perks. “Eh, it didn’t get me any dates,” says Good. “[But I] had plenty already so, you know, I wasn’t too worried about that.”