Dance Preview :: Dancers’ Viewpointe III

By Jessica E. Gould, Contributing Writer

Dancers’ Viewpointe III

Rieman Center

Prance into the weekend with Dancers’ Viewpointe III (DV III), “the dance show of the year,” according to dancer and former Viewpointe choreographer Adrienne Minster.

DV III is a collaborative effort between professional choreographers and selected undergraduates. It is the brainchild of Elizabeth Bergmann, Director of Harvard’s dance program and Artistic Director for the show. When Bergmann came to Harvard, she hoped to create an opportunity for committed dancers to “raise their level of performance” by working with established choreographers. When the first Dancers’ Viewpointe show premiered, Bergmann realized her vision.

Undergraduates who wish to participate must complete applications and submit them to a committee of seasoned professional dancers who select aspiring choreographers on the basis of their ideas and previous work. Undergraduate participants then craft their pieces with professional mentors throughout the fall and into the spring semester. DV III is the newest incarnation of showcase for this work.

This year’s performance will include dances by students Bradford Bachus, Shelby Braxton-Brooks ’03, Jetta Martin ’05, and Ryugi Yamaguchi ’03. Celebrated Boston choreographers participating are Laszlo Berdo, Jodi Allen, Adrienne Hawkins and Elizabeth Bergmann. All pieces in this weekend’s program are premieres. DV III will present a variety of styles with scores ranging from Schostokovich to Coltrane. Some of the dances will be accompanied by live music and poetry.

Dancers’ Viewpointe III will be performed in the Rieman Center for the Performing Arts, Agassiz House in Radcliffe Yard, April 10, 11, and 12 at 8 p.m. Tickets are available at the Harvard Box Office.