Rugby Players Arraigned in Court for Streaking

By Jenifer L. Steinhardt, Crimson Staff Writer

The two Harvard rugby players arrested May 9 after allegedly running naked through a Greenwich, Conn. park waived their right to a speedy trial and asked to be put on probation at their arraignment last week.

Stephen A. Longo ’06 and Robert C. Boutwell ’06 filed for accelerated pretrial probation on May 14, according to the Stamford, Conn. Superior Court Office.

The first-years were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct after a Greenwich resident reported that they had been streaking, according to the Greenwich Police Department.

Police released Longo and Boutwell on $100 cash bond.

Under Connecticut law, a person placed on accelerated pretrial probation who successfully meets the terms of the probation can have all charges dismissed.

Police said that Longo and Boutwell had been drinking at the home of another team member prior to their arrest.

At the time of the incident, police also arrested John M. Rudey, the father of one of Harvard’s wingers, who police said had hosted a party for about 30 Harvard rugby players.

Rudey, who is charged with providing alcohol to minors and reckless endangerment, is scheduled to be arraigned today.

Longo declined comment and Boutwell and Rudey could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Associate Director of Athletics John E. Wentzell, said yesterday that it was still unclear what disciplinary action, if any, would be taken against the team. Rugby, a club sport, was disbanded for a year in 1998 after an incident involving alcohol.