Janitor Rehired After Labor Dispute

Soprani had alleged gender discrimination in lay-off

MARLENE SOPRANI speaks at a rally early in May, when she alleged discrimination in her firing. She has since been rehired by Harvard.
By Stephen M. Marks, Crimson Staff Writer

A former Harvard janitor who filed a sex discrimination complaint against a University subcontractor in April was rehired earlier this month.

The agreement that was reached between Marlene Soprani and ACME/Pioneer Janitorial Services stipulates dismissal of the complaint, the rehiring of Soprani and her transfer away from her previous boss, according to both ACME/Pioneer Vice President Frank Gello and Aaron Bartley, an organizer for Service Employees International Union Local 254 who represented Soprani.

Though Bartley and Gello declined to discuss details, citing a confidentiality agreement that was part of the deal, they both said they were satisfied with the results.

In a complaint filed with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination on April 4, Soprani had alleged that she was told a job she applied for was “more for a man” by her boss at the time, ACME/Pioneer manager Carlos Da Silva. She also charged that he later publicly humiliated her for her interest in the job.

Soprani was laid off a few weeks later.

At the time, Da Silva denied the charges, saying that she was fired for poor performance. Gello said the allegations were off base, noting that a woman was subsequently awarded the job.

The University conducted an investigation of the charges, according to Marilyn D. Touborg, director of communications for the Office of Human Resources.

The Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) also rallied on Soprani’s behalf outside Widener Library in early May, attracting roughly 40 protesters.

The deal resulted from two or three negotiations held between Gello, Bartley and Soprani in May, Bartley said.

Soprani was reinstated earlier this month.

According to both Gello and Bartley, her new job will be a day shift in Lamont Library—a position similar to the one for which she had applied.

Soprani had originally worked a day shift when coming to Harvard two years ago, she said at the May rally. She said ACME/Pioneer management forced her to take a night shift last September.

Bartley said she should have initially been given the job for which she applied due to seniority but was passed over.

He said the agreement was a win for both sides.

“Marlene needed the work and the company needed to resolve the situation and ensure that its labor practices were complaint with both legal regulations and Harvard’s expectations,” Bartley said.

Gello declined to say what had caused the company’s about-face.

“We just reconsidered our stance,” Gello said.

But both sides agreed that the University had little part in reaching a compromise.

“Harvard was not involved,” Gello said.

PSLM member Amelia Chew ’04 said Soprani’s allegations about harassment from supervisors and “Harvard’s insensitivity to women’s issues” form part of a larger trend. She said she saw the resolution of this dispute as a good sign.

“The problems she’s facing have been a pattern,” she said. “This is definitely a step in the right direction.”

Bartley said Soprani is pleased with her new arrangement, despite earlier apprehensions that she would continue to be treated poorly upon her return. He said her few weeks back on the job have been incident-free.

“Marlene feels as if she’s working in a better environment, and has work, and feels as if justice was done in her case,” he said.

—Staff writer Stephen M. Marks can be reached at marks@fas.harvard.edu.