M. Hockey Ranked Sixth in Nation

By Timothy J. Mcginn, Crimson Staff Writer

Already placed atop the ECAC coaches’ and media pre-season polls, the Harvard men’s hockey team has received another positive forecast for the upcoming season. USA Today/American Hockey Magazine ranked the Crimson No. 6 in the nation in its preseason poll released yesterday.

Receiving 301 points, the Crimson rose four spots from its final position in the 2002-03 poll.

Harvard enters the season with one of its strongest squads in years, returning nearly all of last year’s team—now with one more year of experience.

Beanpot rival BU stood one spot behind the Crimson at No. 7—where it left off last year—after garnering 267 points in the balloting.

ECAC foe Cornell comes in at No. 8 with 251 points. The Big Red ended last season at No. 3 after advancing to the NCAA Frozen Four before falling in the semifinals.

BC ranks highest among schools in the North East, swapping spots with Cornell to move into third overall. With 439 points, the Eagles were edged out by No. 2 Michigan by three points.

Two-time defending champion Minnesota received 25 of 33 first-place votes and begins the season as the favorite for the title.

Men's Ice Hockey