Crimson Finishes Eighth at Yale Invitational

By Jonathan P. Hay, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s golf team struggled somewhat at the Yale Invitational over the weekend, recording a 342-343—685 to finish eighth in the nine-team field.

While the eighth-place finish matches the Crimson’s effort in last year’s Yale Invitational, Harvard’s total score was 19 strokes above the team’s score in 2003. However, by comparison, the 650 posted by this year’s champion, Yale, is 38 strokes higher than the score posted last year by champion Princeton.

“It was windy [on Sunday], and on Saturday the course was soaked,” said freshman Jessica Hazlett. “I still think we could have played better, though.”

While the overall result was disappointing for the Crimson, some solace can be taken in the fact that it finished ahead of Ivy League rival Brown by two strokes.

“None of us really played up to our standards,” said freshman Katie Loncke.

Individually, the Crimson placed three golfers in the top 25. Senior J.J. Kang set the tone early for Harvard and fired an 83-84—167 to finish in a tie for 18th place. She was joined there by Hazlett, whose 85-82—167 was good enough for the highest individual finish of her young career, besting her 19th place finish in the Dartmouth Invitational.

“J.J.’s very consistent and very talented,” said Hazlett.

Just behind her teammates was Loncke, who shot an 84-84—168 and tied for 23rd place.

Rounding out the scoring for the Crimson was sophomore Erin Wilson with a 90-94—184 and captain Carrie Baizer with a 92-93—185.

Baizer’s score, however, did not fully reflect her contribution to the team. Due to torrential downpours on Friday, Harvard was unable to play a practice round, but Baizer utilized notes that she had taken in previous years to help her teammates place their shots and select their clubs.

“It was definitely a collaborative team effort,” said Loncke.

Sophomore Jacquie Rooney did not make the trip for the Crimson, as she is recovering from tendonitis in her wrist.

Harvard is back in action this weekend when it competes in the Bucknell Invitational, which will be the final tournament of the fall season for the Crimson.

—Staff writer Jonathan P. Hay can be reached at hay@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Golf