Francis Burr, Harvard Corporation Chair, Dies at 90

By Illeana Ojeda, Contributing Writer

Francis H. “Hooks” Burr ’36, a former chairman of the Harvard Corporation who spent most of his adult life at Harvard, passed away Nov. 25 in Boston. He was 90.

Burr, who served as a Fellow of the College in the Harvard Corporation from 1954 to 1982, was a leader in the presidential search that led to the appointment of Derek Bok in 1971.

Bok, who has been a long-time friend of Burr’s, said Burr himself came to break the news of the presidential decision.

“He came out to my house in Belmont on one snowy night to offer me the presidency and we worked together closely after that,” Bok recalled.

“I always felt tremendously supported even when I was in bad weather or making mistakes. He was never passing judgment, he was just there to just to try to help figure things out, “ Bok said.

To friends, Burr was known as “Hooks,” a nickname inherited from his uncle, according to his brother Tucker Burr ’39.

“Everyone knew him by that name,” his brother said.

Burr was born in Nahant, MA. in 1915 to Isaac T. Burr, class of 1906, and Evelyn Thayer.

After his undergraduate years, Burr obtained a degree from Harvard Law School in 1938 and then joined the law firm of Ropes, Gray, Best, Coolidge and Rugg.

But the Second World War broke out soon after Burr joined the firm and Burr left to join the war effort as an intelligence officer in the Navy.

Burr returned to Harvard in 1954.

Burr had a strong interest in health care, a passion that served him well as a fellow of the Harvard Corporation, according to Bok.

Burr served as a trustee of Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) from 1962 to 1987, spending his last five years as chairman of the MGH Board of Trustees.

“During his tenure he had a huge impact and really shaped the hospital as a much better hospital,” said MGH President Peter Slavin.

Slavin said Burr made two major contributions to the hospital, including leading the effort to raise $165 million for new buildings and working to create Partners HealthCare, an integrated health care system with MGH and Brigham and Women’s hospitals.

“[Burr] was a model board member, somebody always looking out for the best interest of the organization and its mission and not at all focused on what’s best for him as an individual,” Slavin said.

Burr also served on the boards of numerous corporations, including American Airlines.

In 1982 Burr was awarded an honorary doctorate in recognition of his service to the University. In 1985, Burr received the Harvard Medal for service to the University and was the Chief Marshal of Harvard’s 350th Anniversary Celebration in 1986.

Burr is survived by his wife Lucy Burr and her children Wenonah and David W. Devins, as well as three children from his first marriage to the late Nancy B. Pell: Samuel H. Burr, Nancy P. Hayden, and Alice N. Pell. He also leaves nine grandchildren, three great-grandchildren and another brother, John T. Burr ’42

A memorial service will be held Dec. 9, at 11 a.m. in Memorial Church.