FOUR YALE 1929 SUBS ON WAY TO JOIN CREW SQUAD

HAINES REFUSES TO SAY WITH BINGHAM, "SURE WE'LL WIN"

Red Top. Conn., June 18, Hopes of a race between the Harvard and Yale Freshmen continued to mount today when four of the nine 1929 substitutes who received the emergency calls to come to Gaies, Ferry answered that they would report within a few hours. It is expected that there will be a Blue Freshman boat on the water by tomorrow morning.

The decision to recall the substitutes was against the judgments of many of the crew supporters at Yale who felt that the recall of substitutes and the boating of a makeshift crew would do more to hurt rowing relations than to help them. The coaches feel, however, that the men recalled will make a powerful and able combination. Practice and the difficulty of teaching teamwork in so short a time are the sole discouraging factors.

The three Freshmen who were not disbarred by the report of the violation of the Honor System will be included in the new boat. The four men who are now due in quarters are W. H. Burton of New York City, L. M. Smith of Bronxville, N. Y.; H. H. Stillman of New York City; and W. H. Jenkins of Ardmore, Pa.

Rain fell throughout the morning, and the crews that went out experienced rough going and had a hard pull of it. The Yale first crew, in a time trial row over the four-mile course this morning was forced to stop at the two-mile mark because of rough water. None of the men were overfatigued at that point. The Junior University crew and the combination crews had long rows at a low stroke.

When Coach Haines was interviewed by the CRIMSON correspondent here today he refused to give any information about the progress of the crew W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics in the University, was present and prompted Coach Hames, urging. "Tell them we'll beat Yale." Haines refused to support him, but when the reporter questioned him further he agreed that he wouldn't say that the crew wouldn't beat Yale. When the questioner tried to pursue the subject further the coach let out a great shout and spun the wheel of the coaching launch around in great haste, so that the launch was gone in a twinkling without any more discussion of the crew situation.