SPORTS BRIEF: In last home meet before break, both track teams fall to Huskies

By The Crimson Staff

Returning home to the friendly confines of Gordon Track and Field Center was not the warm homecoming the Harvard track and field teams hoped for. On Saturday, both the men’s and women’s squads fell to Northeastern by scores of 77.5-66.5 and 87-40, respectively.

The men won eight events, swept two, but could not beat the Huskies for the first time since 2003.

In the mile, senior Sean Barrett’s time of 4:20.78 won the race. Teammates junior Brian Holmquest (4:24.26) and senior Peter Mullen (4:27.15) followed behind. The Crimson followed up suit in the 3000-meter race as Mullen won the event.

Junior Christopher Green could not quite break the two-minute mark in the 800 meter race, but his time of 2:00.07 won the event. Senior Timothy Galebach (2:29.78) won the 1,000 meter race and junior Jon Wofsy won the 500-meter dash.

In the field events, freshman Alex Tremblay won the two jumping events—the long and triple jump.

For the women, individual success was not as prevalent. Only three competitors won their respective events. Two of the three victories came in the field events, where sophomore Becky Christensen won the high jump by leaping over 1.79 meters, while junior Clara Blattler won the pole vault by clearing 3.65 meters.

Junior Sarah Bourne took the only win for the Crimson on the track in the 3000 meter race. She crossed the tape in 10:36.66 for the win.

Track and Cross Country