Course Evaluation Reforms Postponed As Faculty Look to the New Year

By Maxwell L. Child and Samuel P. Jacobs, Crimson Staff Writerss

Professors postponed discussion of a revamped course evaluation system at yesterday’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences meeting after items higher up on the agenda ran over time.

The reforms, which require that all courses with five or more students be evaluated, will be on the agenda for the next Faculty meeting in January. Students would also be allowed to complete evaluations after taking final exams under the new guidelines.

Representatives of the Undergraduate Council (UC) attended the meeting, and some were said they were disappointed at having to wait to hear debate on the issue.

“I think it’s unfortunate,” said UC President-elect Matthew L. Sundquist ’09. “It’s really hard when there are six things to go through in an hour and half.”

Michael R. Ragalie ’09, a member of the Committee on Undergraduate Education, said he was hopeful the change would be made.

“I’m sure it will all work out,” he said. “I think these are much needed reforms, and that the students and the Faculty recognize that.

Dean of the Faculty Michael D. Smith told The Crimson that he was “optimistic” the reforms would pass.

ALL DRESSED UP

The star of yesterday’s meeting, J. Lorand Matory ’82, was dressed for the spotlight, wearing a tuxedo and black tie.

The anthropologist apologized to his tweedy colleagues.

“Please do forgive my being overdressed,” he said, “I do not mean to make you feel underdressed, but I am going out with the wife afterwards. There is life after the Faculty meeting.”

CURTAIN CALL FOR SKOCPOL

Yesterday may have marked the final meeting for Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Dean Theda R. Skocpol at the head table, with science historian Allan M. Brandt set to take her place.

“I’m very thankful to all of you for the wonderful chance that you have given me to work with you as dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. It has been the most thrilling part of the job.”

Skocpol’s colleagues greeted her words with a standing ovation.

GALBRAITH VISIT

Kitty, the wife of recently deceased academic giant John Kenneth Galbraith, visited University Hall for a tribute to her husband.

Economist Benjamin M. Friedman ’66 praised the Galbraiths, who married 70 years ago, for the “glittering intellectual salon” that was their Francis Street home.

—Staff writer Maxwell L. Child can be reached at mchild@fas.harvard.edu. —Staff writer Samuel P. Jacobs can be reached at jacobs@fas.harvard.edu.