Skiing in Ninth Again

By Vincent R. Oletu, Crimson Staff Writer

Over the weekend, the Harvard skiing teams traveled to Hanover, N.H., to compete in the Dartmouth Winter Carnival.

The Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association Circuit competition featured twelve universities from across the eastern seaboard.

The Crimson came away with a ninth-place finish overall with a total of 223 points.

With the home field advantage, the Big Green pulled out a narrow victory, finishing first at 756 points. The University of Vermont and Middlebury College came in second and third with 729 and 670 points, respectively.

The ninth-place finish marks the third consecutive ninth-place standing for the Harvard ski team, but the team still remains optimistic.

“I think everyone pretty much had a pretty good race,” freshman Audrey Mangan said. “The competition is always hard, especially Dartmouth, but I think we are rising to the challenge.”

On the men’s side, the Crimson definitely rose to the challenge, adjusting to major setbacks.

“David [McCahill], one of our best skiers, was sick this weekend,” senior Jennifer Harlow said. “Chris [Nabel] really stepped up for the team.”

The climate also proved to be another obstacle to overcome, but again, the team adjusted well.

“It was really cold and windy so it was difficult,” Harlow said. “But I think Audrey had a pretty good race this weekend.”

The Dartmouth squad, which claimed its fourth straight meet, was led by the trio of junior Ben True, sophomore Glenn Randall, and senior Mike Sinnott.

The group convincingly won the 3x10K freestyle relay for the Big Green with a time of 1:18:49—two and a half minutes ahead of the next team, Vermont.

For Harvard, junior Oliver Burress, freshman Trevor Petach, and junior Chris Nabel finished in 19th place with a time of 1:32:07, only a few seconds off the 15th position.

The Crimson will have one week’s rest before traveling to Prospect Mountain, Vt., to participate in the Williams College Winter Carnival.

—Staff writer Vincent R. Oletu can be reached at voletu@fas.harvard.edu.

Skiing