Women's Tennis Falls to Pacific

Late 3-2 lead slips away

By Alexandra J. Mihalek, Contributing Writer

The Harvard women’s tennis team tripped at the finish line yesterday, falling just short of beating Pacific in Stockton, Calif. The match, which the Crimson (1-10) eventually lost, 4-3, featured three Harvard leads and three ties.

The deciding match was at No. 5 singles, where senior Julia Forgie was bested by Tigers freshman Sasha Fisher, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1, to break a 3-3 stalemate.

The day started out well for Harvard, which won the opening doubles point. At the No. 1 spot, sophomore Beier Ko and freshman Lena Litvak beat Pacific’s Fisher and Jolanta Twarowska, 8-4, and senior Preethi Mukundan and freshman Elizabeth Brook captured the deciding match at No. 2 doubles, 8-6.

In singles action, the Crimson secured straight-set wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 singles matches from Litvak (7-5, 6-4) and Mukundan (6-2, 6-0), respectively. Twarowska toppled Ko, 6-4, 6-2, in the top spot, and notched wins at the bottom three positions as well. Brook dropped a tight contest at No. 4, 6-2, 2-6, 6-1, and junior Vilsa Curto, also a Crimson editor, was rolled over at No. 6, 6-2, 6-0.

Harvard will try to bounce back from the disappointing loss on Friday when it faces UC Davis.

Women's Tennis