You, too, can have this much fun at Yardfest.

15 Questions with Adam Goldenberg and Kai Wu

With Yardfest right around the corner, FM decided to sit down with the social programming gurus themselves, College Events Board
By Elizabeth B. Rose

With Yardfest right around the corner, FM decided to sit down with the social programming gurus themselves, College Events Board (CEB) Chair S. Adam Goldenberg ’08 and Vice-Chair C. Kai Wu ’09.

1. Fifteen Minutes: What are the most significant difference between this year’s and last year’s Yardfest?

S. Adam Goldenberg: The most significant difference is that this year the organization is much more student driven. Last year it was organized by administrators and students that called the Yard Fest committee, it was an ad hoc committee brought together by the campus life fellow.

2. FM: How is it different now that students are more involved in the planning?

A: Everything from Mem steps down to the yard is being planned by the CEB. Everything from the steps up toward the church is being planned by the Concert Commission.

3. FM: What are your thoughts on social programming failures in the past? Wyclef? What are you doing to change and stay relevant?

A: The most important thing is planning ahead and being very thorough in the planning process. A lot of what led to the failures in the past, like Snoop Dogg and Wyclef, were errors of inexperience and we’ve learned from their mistakes and used that experience.

C. Kai Wu: Our close connection with the Campus Life Fellow has been very helpful. We have not only the energy of the students but the experience and wisdom of this year’s fun czar, John [T.] Drake [’06].

4. FM: What other bands were you considering?

A: There was a long list of potential acts that was generated by the CEB and Concert Commission and through a very detailed and thorough process. We selected the artist that we thought was most appropriate for the event.

5. FM: What kinds of bands might we be seeing in the future?

A: You will see more concerts, particularly smaller concerts, that we’ll put on throughout the year and when the pub comes on in a few weeks, that’ll be a fantastic venue that we’ll take adv of and we hope student groups to take advantage of. We have one concert planned for May of a band that’s coming into to town.

FM: Who?

A: I’m not going to say for now

6. FM: What’s the food going to be like this year?

A: BBQ themed. So most of what you could expect to have on a summer BBQ, that’s what we’ll have. Vegetarian options. It’ll be good, we’ll make sure of it.

FM: Is there anything you remember you’re excited about?

A: I don’t remember...I’m excited about food generally.

7. FM: Please tell me there will still be sumo suits.

A: That remains to be decided. Would you like there to be sumo suits?

FM: Yes.

A: Definitely lots of fun stuff, much of it inflatable.

FM: Will there be tire swings?

A: There will be tire swings.

FM: How about the detailed instructions for the tire swings on the trees, like last year?

A: There will be tire swings.

FM: Any comment on the mild concussion I sustained after an ill timed walk past a tire swing?

A: This is why we have instructions on the trees.

8.

FM: What’s the one thing you’re are most excited about?

A: I keep asking for a rollercoaster but they refuse to give it to me.

K: I’m excited for the artist actually. I love Third Eye Blind. But, I think the event is more about the atmosphere than the artist, the rides, or even the food.

A: It’s bigger than the sum of it’s parts.

K: I’m excited to be down there with the rest of Harvard.

9.

FM: In 15 seconds, name as many Third Eye Blind songs as you can.

K: “Jumper,” “Semi-charmed”...

A: Go for it Kai!

K: “God of wine...”

10.

FM: Can I have Steven Jenkin’s number?

A: No. Can I?

11.

FM: What is the alcohol policy? Are you worried about people drinking because it’s in the middle of the weekend?

A: There wont be alcohol served at the event.

FM: I read that there will be Yardfest-themed Stein Clubs leading up to the event. How are you involved in that?

K: Those are happening now...they lead up to the event. They started last week and will be continuing up to the event. There will be a Stein Club at all twelve of the houses up to event. We had Mather last week and it was very successful, we had a huge turnout. These Stein Clubs and Happy Hours serve to build the intensity and excitement and give the event more exposure. We’ve also been handing out T-shirts and VIP passes.

FM: VIP passes at Stein Clubs?

A: It’s the next best thing to being on the Harvard Concert Commission. You win them through Trivia, Karaoke, DDR. How many we give out will depend on how many people win the Stein Clubs.

12.

FM: How many people came to last year’s Yardfest? Do you expect similar numbers this year?

A: Our guess is 7000. We expect about the same.

13.

FM: Is there an opening band?

A: Yes, they’re called The Upwelling.

FM: What’re they like?

A: They play music. They’ve been touring with 3EB all around the country and to different colleges. I’ve heard some of their tracks, they sound pretty good.

14.

FM: Since it has become tradition (this is the second annual Yardfest after all) how do you expect Third Eye Blind to insult Eliot House?

A: Oooh. Ask the Harvard Concert Commission.

15.

FM: Anything else you’d like to add?

A: This is going to be a sweet event. I’m really excited and I think everyone should be too. (emphatic finger snap) That was a good upbeat answer.