Can You Put the Past Away?

When the College Events Board recently announced that Third Eye Blind would be headlining Yardfest, you probably thought, “Well, I
By Jessica L. Fleischer

When the College Events Board recently announced that Third Eye Blind would be headlining Yardfest, you probably thought, “Well, I guess people would have been psyched about that 10 years ago.”

You’d be wrong. The band, whose crystal meth-tinged mega-hit “Semi-Charmed Life” blasted across college dorms in 1997, failed to elicit any major enthusiasm among a group of Harvard College ’98 alums polled by FM.

“Who are they, again?” asks Christine Folch ’98. To be fair to Christine, 3EB has arguably not had a hit since 1999, when the hook-y “Never Let You Go” rose to #14 on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts. Apparently, people will let 3EB go.

Other alums took a more hostile approach: as Matthew L. Kramer ’98 puts it, “Why do you care...?” Perhaps 3EB isn’t worth caring about, but any band capable of feuding with badass Matchbox Twenty is clearly deserving of some importance.

“I guess Akon and Jay-Z were booked,” reasons Brian S. Panoff ’98. “But I suspect they don’t have the budget for anything other than lame.”

Probably not. Sexy only comes back at a high price, and it’s not like this institution has billions of dollars at its disposal. So embrace your inner 90s freak and get ready to rock out to “Jumper.”