Macy Gray

"Big" (Geffen) - 3 stars

By Melissa Y. Caminneci, Contributing Writer

When Macy Gray hit the scene in 1999 with her distinctive vocals and universally appealing, Grammy-winning single “I Try,” everyone seemed to take notice. She even managed to achieve popularity among high schoolers in the age of boy bands and Britney. Now, only eight years later, Gray has put out her fourth studio album; and who knew she had been so busy?

Her previous two albums flew under the radar (especially her near-universally panned effort, “The Id”), and her newest work, “Big,” doesn’t seem to contain any breakout hits. However, it’s a solid album that traverses the gap between Gray’s old-school soul stylings, modern R&B, and even hip-hop influences.

“Okay” is probably the catchiest song of the bunch. It’s hard to play this song without doing a dance and singing along. It’s also the best of a few collaborations with will.i.am and a more modern twist on Gray’s trademark style. In short, it works fabulously.

“Shoo Be Doo” brings Gray’s voice to the forefront throughout the verses, and shows how a funky beat and tried-and-true song form can be made original by a unique artist. However, the production is a bit distracting—the instrumental background sounds like the demo tracks that come with any entry-level keyboard.

“Strange Behavior” is a must-listen, if only for this reason: what other song talks about killing for insurance money? And what’s more, does it with style? The lyrical comedy of the track is well-balanced with its truly old-fashioned sound: the horns in the background call to mind black-and-white cartoons, and the vocal lines evoke the girls of the Broadway musical “Chicago.” Here, Gray’s sense of humor comes out to play.

“Ghetto Love” falls too far into the modern realm and away from Gray’s own style, as evidenced by the title alone. The track sounds too derivative, but who knows—maybe that will make it an audience favorite.

“Treat Me Like Your Money” (this time featuring will.i.am’s vocals) is another track with a bit of comedic spunk, and provides a mix of ’70s soul/funk and modern hip-hop.

It tells the story of a woman asking to be treated like a certain man’s money, because—since he’s a greedy, money-grubbing sort—this means she would be treated very well. The backbeat is fantastic; the use of the lyric, “You spin me right round” toward the song’s end, however, is not.

If you aren’t already a fan of Macy Gray, this album isn’t likely to win you over. None of these tracks could be a #1 single, though a few might earn a few weeks on the charts. Overall, “Big” is a well-produced album that puts Gray’s voice to good use. It seems likely Gray will maintain her fan base, though she won’t replicate the success she once knew.