Smith's Letter to Harvard College Students and Faculty

Dean of the Faculty Michael D. Smith sent the following e-mail to Harvard College affiliates on Monday:

Dear Colleagues,

As you may recall, I reported earlier this summer that Benedict Gross had chosen to step down as Dean of Harvard College at the end of this month to return to full-time teaching and research as a member of our Faculty. To provide more time for me to consult with all of you concerning a permanent replacement, I am delighted to announce that Professor David Pilbeam, Henry Ford II Professor of Human Evolution and Curator of Paleoanthropology at the Peabody Museum, has generously agreed to serve as Dean of the College on an interim basis effective September 1, 2007.

David Pilbeam is well known to many of you, serving most recently as Interim Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Immediately prior to that he was Senior Advisor to the Dean of Harvard College, a member of the Task Force on General Education, and co-chair of the Educational Policy Committee. From 1987 to 1992 and 1996 to 1997, David was Dean of Undergraduate Education; from 1997 to 2000, he was Associate Dean of the Faculty. He brings a deep understanding of both the academic and residential aspects of life in the College, as well as a rare awareness of the important ways in which the College fits into the broader structure of the FAS.

I am quite pleased and extremely thankful that David, who has served as Senior Advisor to me this past month, has agreed to serve in yet another interim capacity. His selflessness and dedication to Harvard are clearly without bounds.

Looking forward, I continue to solicit advice about the structure of Harvard College and names for a permanent dean. A large number of you have already sent me your thoughts, and for those notes and emails I thank you. David has explicitly told me that he does not wish to be considered as a candidate for the permanent position, and I shall soon be appointing ad hoc faculty and student committees to advise me further on a permanent Dean of the College.

With best wishes,

Sincerely yours,
Michael D. Smith