Students Weigh Study Options

Concentration Fair targets freshmen and sophomores

Studets gather information about various concentrations and academic opportunities at the advising fair held in Tercentenary Theatre yesterday afternoon.
By Nan Ni, Crimson Staff Writer

At the first Fall Concentration Fair yesterday, students munched on ice cream sandwiches and listened to academic advice in Tercentenary Theatre.

Organized by the Advising Programs Office (APO), the fair was directed toward freshmen and sophomores, but the sunny weather and abundant food drew scores of upperclassmen as well.

Representatives from each of the 44 concentrations and academic resources such as the Bureau of Study Counsel manned tables to answer questions.

Although many of the attendees had questions about specific classes, Manuel J. Antunes ’11 went to the fair to get an overview of Harvard’s opportunities.

With a handful of colorful brochures, Antunes said that he had “no clue” about his concentration yet, although he speculated that it would have “something to do with the Humanities.”

“I still feel nervous about not knowing what to do and a little lost,” Antunes said. “But at least the Concentration Fair helped me understand a few things I need to do to start the process of choosing.”

Unlike Antunes, Kevin T. Huang ’09 declared his concentration months ago, but was still drawn to the perks of the fair.

“I think it’s great that freshmen are getting early exposure to choosing a concentration,” Huang said, “But I’m just here to grab a free sandwich on the way to class.”

Indeed the lines at the hot dog stand were much longer than the queues at the tables for such popular concentrations as Economics.

But APO Assistant Dean for Upperclass, House, and Concentration Advising Inge-Lise Ameer was not concerned about the freeloading older students.

“I just want people to be comfortable here and enjoy the day,” Ameer said. “I think students appreciate the chance to talk to a real person about their questions and concerns.”

Palmer Rampell ’10, however, said he did not find the Concentration Fair as helpful as he had hoped. Trying to decide between East Asian Studies, Philosophy, and English before the end-of-semester deadline, Rampell had come to the fair to learn more about his options.

“I thought that instead of telling us about the requirements of each concentration, the professors would share their passions for the subject,” Rampell said.

“But I found that they rarely did that and instead just told me stuff I could already find in the handbook.”

—Staff writer Nan Ni can be reached at nni@fas.harvard.edu.