AC/DC

"Black Ice," (Columbia) -- 4 STARS

By Anna E. Sakellariadis, Contributing Writer

From the opening riff of the title song on AC/DC’s new album, “Black Ice,” one thing is perfectly clear: the boys are back in town, and, now in their 50s and 60s, they’re still all about the sex, drugs, and rock ’n’ roll.

Simply judging from the song titles, in which “rock” gets used four times, it’s clear that Angus, Malcolm, Brian, Cliff, and Phil are out to prove that—33 years after their debut album—they’ve still got it.

The amazing thing about “Black Ice” is how well it recapitulates the “AC/DC doctrine” while also pushing the limits—though admittedly, the former happens more. That amazing rhythm section is still there, pulsating through each note and demanding physical compliance from the listener. (I admit I had to actively struggle to keep myself from drawing too much attention in the dining hall as my body grooved of its own volition.) The lead guitar is as wicked as ever, as Angus Young teases with a seemingly inexhaustible supply of brilliant and catchy riffs. Brian Johnson displays his dexterity by varying his familiar scream-singing with more melodic, beautiful phrases, which allow him to display an almost soulful, slightly scratchy voice.

“Rock ’N’ Roll Dream” encapsulates AC/DC’s new balance of balls out rock with something a bit softer. The relatively mellow verses are initially filled only by quiet and unobtrusive drums, a haunting solo guitar line, and Johnson’s voice. Quick crescendos then lift the track up to a high-energy chorus, “I could be in a rock ’n’ roll dream.”

Preceding track “Money Made,” however, is more representative of the AC/DC of old. It begins with a riff evocative of that immortal “Back in Black” opening line. Though the song starts to feel slightly bland with the continual repetition of “work, work, money made,” when the vocals fade out and leave the instrumentation unadulterated, the band creates pure magic, grounded in the solid interplay between guitar and drums.

One of the best tracks on the album, “Spoilin’ for a Fight” is hair-splitting in the best possible sense. A wailing, brief guitar riff that tickles the ear leaves its calling card throughout the rest of the song, lingering in the psyche and making my fingers itch to try out that line on my Gibson SG air guitar. “Smash and Grab” is another favorite, with a particularly strong and moving rhythm section, not to mention the sick guitar solo just before the end. Man, can Angus still jive and wail.

But the most surprising song is “Anything Goes,” which is more of an exploration into the world of pop-rock than anything else I’ve heard from AC/DC. It resembles a song more likely to come from Van Halen. But while the track seems slightly out of place, it isn’t wanting for musical prowess.

“Black Ice” moves from songs exhibiting the band’s traditional ethos from albums past to more experimental works, such as “Anything Goes.” And while AC/DC hasn’t undergone any significant reinvention, they demonstrate throughout that they don’t need to. Even 33 years in the making, rock ’n’ roll ain’t noise pollution, and AC/DC is still the place to turn. For those about to rock, we salute you.