CRIMSON LIVE: Men's Hockey @ Brown

Harvard travels to Providence to tangle with the Bears

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

20:00: And that's all from Providence, as Brown hangs on for the 4-2 win.

18:24: Richter's gone again; he headed for the bench with about two minutes left. Harvard takes a timeout. And with a faceoff coming up in the Crimson zone, Richter is back.

12:50: Harvard's Joe Smith takes a shot from behind the goal line to the right of the net, it takes a bounce of Rosen's skate and back across the goal line. A bizarre bounce that fits in perfectly with this game. 4-2 Brown.

09:59: Richter's back in there, although who knows when he may come back out. Or maybe Harvard will try two goalies in net at once. Anything could happen, it's becoming clear.

08:00: In one of the strangest coaching moves you'll ever see, Harvard has pulled Richter for an extra skater with 12 minutes to go. VERY strange, and Brown almost gets an empty-netter from its own zone.

06:56: Brown's Mark Stuart gets sent off, giving the Crimson another chance to get back in it.

05:00: Meintel slides into the slot all alone and tries to go right to beat Rosen, but he's there at the post to stuff it.

03:59: After a scuffle for the puck near the net, McCollem is dripping blood onto the ice as he's led off.

03:36: A couple of offsides calls and some bad passing are all that Harvard has to show for this power play so far.

01:58: And we have out first penalty of the period, another one on Robertson, this time for roughing.

00:37: Brown's Matt Vokes, waiting in the high slot, gets a pass from winger Harry Zolnierczyk in the left circle and sends a one-timer past Richter for a 4-1 lead.

00:00 The third period gets under way, as Rogers wins the faceoff for Harvard.

SECOND INTERMISSION: For those keeping track at home, that's 15 penalties so far through two periods.

20:00: We head into the second intermission, 3-1 Brown.

18:40: Brown's Pietrus streaks into the Harvard zone from the left side and gets it through Richter and into the right side of the net for a shorthanded goal and a 3-1 lead. Huge special-teams breakdown for the Crimson.

18:22: Garbutt called for hitting from behind, a power play for Harvard.

16:18: Brown's Dave Robertson shoots from the top of the left circle, Richter is in position to make the save at the left post but it's redirected to his right. He sticks his glove out behind him, but it trickles past and the Bears reclaim the lead. A power-play goal.

15:31: Pelle is also rung up for hitting after the whistle.

14:44: Coincidental minors for hitting after the whistle assessed to Brown's Ryan Garbutt and Harvard's Steve Rolecek, and we have 4-on-4.

14:44: Fraser takes aim from the blue line, just to the left of center, and fires through a screen and through Rosen to tie the game at 1. Alex Meintel got the tip and the score, so give Fraser a clutch assist. A power-play goal.

12:44: Brown's Sean Hurley has been sent to the box for hitting from behind, and we have another Harvard power-play opportunity.

07:47: We have our first scuffle in front of the net, as this game begins to look more and more like last year's. Tallett, who was involved in the scrum, gets two minutes in the box. Huxley gets called for hitting after the whistle, along with Brown's Dave Robertson. 5-on-4 for the Bears.

07:00: Brown's Chris Poli hangs on to Ian Tallett's stick for a solid three seconds, and no, that doesn't qualify as "holding the stick" in this game.

03:59: In another example of Twilight Zone refereeing, Brown's Mike Stuart gets called for roughing on a textbook clean hit along the left boards.

03:22: Timberlake, flat on the ice, wraps his legs around a Harvard player's and doesn't let go, holding on for a good three or four seconds and eventually pulling him down. According to the referees, that does not fall under the definition of "tripping," as the whistles remained silent.

01:56: Doug Rogers gets a nice one-timer from the slot, but Rosen saves it and covers it up.

00:00: Current Meehan Auditorium musical selection: Cotton-Eyed Joe. I have no words.

00:00: We're back in action (except for the two people in the sin bin).

FIRST INTERMISSION: We're going to begin the second period with 1:10 of 4-on-4 play, followed by 47 seconds of power play for Harvard. That is, assuming there are no more penalties called, which in this game is a big assumption to make.

20:00: End of the period, 1-0 Brown. Harvard came out of the gate looking a little flat at times, as both the best offensive chances and the hardest hits of the period belonged to the Bears.

19:57: And the power play is gone, as Brown's Timberlake is sent to the box for interference.

19:09: Harvard's Pier-Olivier Michaud is whistled for hooking, so Brown goes back on the power play.

15:24: Brown's Jordan Pietrus gets a break down the right side, but Richter makes a body save at the right post.

13:17: Current Meehan Auditorium musical selection: Finger Eleven - Paralyzer. If that's not a shout-out to RAS, I don't know what is.

13:17: Errant pass in the offensive zone by Jimmy Fraser leads to a shorthanded Bears opportunity, but Richter makes the stop.

11:53: Brown's David Brownschilde called for cross-checking, and we're back to special-teams play.

11:20: Both teams finally back to full strength.

09:04: We have another penalty, this time on Brown's Ryan Garbutt. After a quiet opening stretch, we're starting to see a lot of penalties, shades of last year's wild game between these two teams here in Providence.

07:53: Harvard's Michael Biega gets called for a pretty obvious (I'd say accidental, but that's just me) hook, negating the Harvard power play. 4-on-4 for 30 more seconds.

07:14: We've seen a few early whistles on scrambles for the puck in front of Brown's net, which could have denied Harvard a couple of rebound opportunities.

06:28: Brown's Devin Timberlake has been assessed two minutes for interference. First power play of the night for either team.

05:34: Matt McCollem intercepts a pass in the Brown zone and tries to stuff it in from up close, but it's saved by Bears goalie Dan Rosen.

03:12: Richter gets caught out of position and the puck crosses perilously in front of the net, but Brown can't capitalize.

01:42: From the top of the left facebook circle, Brown's Dave Robertson beats Richter to the top right corner for a quick 1-0 Bears lead.

00:00: And we're under way in Providence. Jimmy Fraser takes the faceoff for Harvard, but Brown claims the puck.

T-17: I just ran into Crimson coach Ted Donato in the tunnel behind the stands. I would describe his demeanor as "polite but determined."

T-36: Current Meehan Auditorium musical selection: Dropkick Murphys - I'm Shipping Up To Boston. A subtle, ironic jab at the fact that Harvard has just shipped down FROM Boston? Perhaps.

T-40: With the Harvard women having already won here 4-1, the men are preparing to take the ice.

--Staff writer Daniel J. Rubin-Wills is live on the scene at Meehan Auditorium.

Men's Ice Hockey