CRIMSON LIVE: Beanpot Final

The Crimson is at TD Banknorth Garden as it aims for its first Beanpot title since 1993

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

07:07: EAGLES WIN. Petrecki nets a rebound from the left side after Richter toppled making the save on a shot from Matt Greene. That's going to be it from the Garden--an incredible effort from Harvard, but BC is your Beanpot champion.

06:44: Icing on BC this time, faceoff in the Eagles zone.

04:15: Nick Petreki shoots from the center of the blue line, Richter gets a glove on it but it bounces up and JUST outside the left post. As close a call as we've seen all night.

03:45: Another icing, another faceoff at the Harvard end.

00:47: Harvard ices it--faceoff in the Crimson zone.

00:00: Here we go--it's sudden-death overtime with the Beanpot championship on the line.

20:00: End of regulation. If someone wants to win the Beanpot, they're going to have to do it in overtime.

15:36: Tie game. Alex Biega throws it on net from the blue line, Taylor pokes his stick out as he skates past the backdoor and taps it inside the left post. 5-5.

15:13: Muse has iced it, so we'll have another faceoff in the Eagles zone.

14:51: BC has killed the penalty, and we're back to even strength.

13:19: Glove save by Muse, faceoff in the BC zone.

12:23: A takedown of Jimmy Fraser in the BC crease sends Mike Brennan to the box for cross-checking. Great opportunity for Harvard to tie things up.

11:14: Pelle skates up the right side, stops in his tracks to send a faked-out defender skidding to the ice, then, with an open look, flicks it in the right side. The margin is back to 1, and it's not over yet. 5-4.

10:24: A flurry of activity at Harvard's right goal post, and the lamp lights. 5-3 Eagles. Matt Lombardi tried a wraparound, then tried to stuff in his own rebound, then everyone crashed the net and the puck found its way in. Credit Andrew Orpik with the goal for coming up and forcing it in. They reviewed it, but the goal stands.

08:45: The official attendance: 17,565.

08:18: Media timeout, Harvard only has 11:42 left to even things up.

07:34: More pressure in the Crimson zone--Richter manages to deny a BC wraparound attempt and cover up the rebound.

05:48 From behind the right goal line, BC's Matt Price passes it up to Gannon at the right post, and, after his one-timer is stuffed, he manages to pot his own rebound, and the lead goes back to BC, 4-3.

05:27: With 20 seconds left on the Harvard penalty, BC has iced it. Faceoff coming in the Eagles zone.

03:46: MacDonald called for elbowing. Harvard's first penalty, BC's first power play.

02:35: Situated at the center of the blue line, Biega sends it to Rogers who takes a shot from the top of the right circle, it's not released particularly quickly but makes it into the right side to tie the score at 3.

02:19: After a long scuffle along the left boards, Pelle breaks free for a shot from the left circle, but Muse smothers it.

01:55: After a nasty takedown, BC's Brian Ferriero is sent to the box for holding.

00:36: BC manages to kill the penalty.

00:00: We're ready to start the third--Harvard has 15 minutes to pull something off, and it looks like it's coming out with its top shooters, including Pelle and Michael Biega. Rogers wins the faceoff.

SECOND INTERMISSION: The Eagles mascot has emerged onto the ice, no sign of any Harvard response.

20:00: That's the end of the period. Harvard will still have 36 seconds of power play left when we start the third. Still 3-2 Eagles.

18:36: BC's Nathan Gerbe called for slashing--our first penalty of the game.

12:30: It was Rogers who actually stuck his stick around the right post and tapped it in, but the ruling is no goal.

12:30: Mike Taylor shoots from the right circle and there's a scuffle for the rebound that dislodges the net. McCollem eventually stuffs it in, but play may have been stopped. They're reviewing it, we'll keep you posted.

09:06: BC's Nick Petrecki manages to grab a puck off the boards at the blue line and get past Brian McCafferty for a wide-open look at Richter, and hits paydirt to put his team up 3-2. Petrecki's first goal of the season.

05:05: McCollem manages to create some space in the high slot and take a shot, but Muse is there for a left-pad save.

01:21: Swooping around from down low on the right side, Gibbons takes aim from the righ circle and beats Richter to the right side to tie the score. Tie game, 2-2.

00:00: We're ready to start the second period--Fraser takes the faceoff for the Crimson, and Harvard starts with control of the puck.

STILL FIRST INTERMISSION: Also of note: despite the score, BC outshot Harvard 9-5 in the first period.

FIRST INTERMISSION: Perhaps the most noteworthy element of the whole period, other than hard hitting by both teams and two highlight-reel Crimson goals, is the fact that there were no penalties incurred. A total of 30 was assessed the last time these two met.

20:00: That's all for the first period--a blocked Mike Taylor shot leads to a BC 3-on-2, but Doug Rogers breaks it up--0.1 seconds left on the clock.

12:20: 2-1 Harvard. Rogers gets a steal near the BC blue line, gives it to McCollem, who sends it past Muse to the top right corner.

09:41: Richter makes a huge save on a feed into the slot to keep the game tied. Greene had the shot, Gannon the pass for BC.

07:38: 1-1 is your score. Mike Taylor came down the right side, banked it off the boards and back to himself to avoid a defender, fired from the right circle and beat Muse to the left side to tie the score. A very pretty play.

05:42: McCafferty threads the defense and tries to give it to Pelle on a 2-on-2, but the puck goes off his stick and BC regains control.

03:51: BC 1, Harvard 0--Richter tried to corral a shot from BC's Brian Gibbons, but it bounced off his chest and across the goal line.

13:05: A physical opening few minutes--several Harvard players have managed to absorb BC hits and stay standing.

00:00: It's Doug Rogers taking the opening faceoff for the Crimson, and Harvard takes the puck.

T-4: It looks like Magura, Fraser, and Rolecek will be starting on offense, an unusual move for Ted Donato.

T-12: This may technically be neutral ice, but you wouldn't know it from the crowd. When both teams were announced, a good 3/4 of the stadium erupted on behalf of BC.

T-36: Both teams have just taken the ice for warmups as we prepare to get under way.

--Staff writer Daniel J. Rubin-Wills is live on the scene at TD Banknorth Garden.

Men's Ice Hockey