Freeze: Cooler than UC

While Barack and Hillary are duking it out in Texas and Ohio, Harvard students have had another campaign on their
By H. Zane B. Wruble

While Barack and Hillary are duking it out in Texas and Ohio, Harvard students have had another campaign on their minds as well this week: the bitter race for the next hot thang in the class of 2011.

As Freeze College Magazine ended their “Freeze Freshman” contest for the 2008 “Mr. Harvard Freshman,” they tallied a whooping 6,021 votes—almost three times the number submitted in this past Undergraduate Council election. Ad Board reform is apparently not that glamorous.

Some students believe that the large difference in votes does not in fact mean that Harvard students are the superficial ones.

“I’m willing to bet at least 15 per cent of the votes were from outside Harvard,” said Mr. Harvard Freshman himself, Siddhant S. Singh ’11. And considering Singh’s estimate that a thousand of his votes came from home, Mumbai, India must be in a frenzy.

UC President Matthew L. Sundquist ’09 bowed to Freeze’s appeal: “There is no way that anything at Harvard could get six thousand votes,” he acknowledged.

But Sundquist holds no grudges against the pretty boys, whose profiles revealed juicy tidbits like Gary L. Pelissier ’11’s praise of the Harvard girl: “I can make jokes about echinoderms or echolocation or epistolary novels or hell, alliterations, and they know what I’m talking about. Oh, and they’re hot.”

Plus, Sundquist has a direct hand in the continuation of the newly popular magazine. “We provide the funding for Freeze to operate,” said Sunquist. “I love Freeze magazine.”

And Freeze is certainly feeling the love.

“It’s great that we got so much publicity, but it’s sad for the UC that there isn’t so much interest,” says Freeze co-chair for publicity and outreach Windsor G. Hanger ’10, adding that in her opinion, the number of votes “reflects the interests of the community.” Sad.

Maybe next year the UC candidates should take a tip from the Mr. Harvard contenders and spend less time reforming the calendar and more time reforming their physiques.