SPORTS BRIEF: Awards Banquet Yields New Leadership For Men’s Hockey Squad

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

The expansion continues. One year after electing two players as captains for just the fourth time in team history, the Harvard men’s hockey team continued the trend, naming juniors Brian McCafferty and Jimmy Fraser as captains for the 2008-09 squad at its annual awards banquet on Saturday.

The team also added sophomore Alex Biega to the leadership ranks as an assistant captain.

McCafferty and Fraser are the 114th and 115th captains in Crimson history, while Biega is the first to serve as an assistant since Tom Cavanagh and Ryan Lannon ’05 shared the role in their senior campaign.

Also at the banquet, senior co-captain Mike Taylor received the John Tudor Memorial Cup, an honor bestowed to the team’s most valuable player. Taylor led the Crimson offense with 35 points, including 12 goals in his senior campaign.

His counterpart, David MacDonald, received the Ralph “Cooney” Weiland Award for devotion to the game, along with fellow senior Tyler Magura.

Sophomore Ian Tallett received the Donald Angier Hockey Trophy, awarded to the team’s most improved player, while Michael Biega and Matt McCollem earned the George Percy Award as the team’s top freshmen performers.

—CRIMSON STAFF

Men's Ice Hockey