Defying Gravity and Harvard Norms

‘Anti-Gravity,’ put on by the Harvard-Radcliffe Juggling Club, will get you lifted

By Candace I. Munroe, Crimson Staff Writer

“Anti-Gravity is symbolic of Harvard students trying to keep our lives in order,” William M. R. C. Skinner ’09 says upon being asked why the Harvard-Radcliffe Juggling Club chose the name “Anti-Gravity: A Demonstration Against Newton” as the title for the group’s May 3 Arts First performance in the Science Center.

“I chose it to make people think that the crazy things we do break the laws of physics,” says Club treasurer Isaac S. Shivvers ’10. “It was late, late at night,” he adds.

Skinner, the Club’s president, was recently in the Adams House courtyard, decked out with a costume of colorful pajamas and stilts, and accompanied by Shivvers in street clothes, juggling implements in hand, to celebrate the beknighting of Corey M. Rennell ’07-’08 to the Principality of Sealand, a micronation off the coast of England.

They did not attend the fancy dress festivities on Club duty, but were instead there as friends of the new aristocrat. “They are cool dudes,” Rennell said while dancing, turkey leg in hand, in a costume reminiscent of King Henry VIII. However, the fun atmosphere of the party seemed to sum up the club’s circus philosophy.

“It’s about this,” Skinner says, gesturing at the gyrating crowd of people dressed in Viking costumes, togas, Shumag’s, Renaissance dresses, and stilt-walkers.

Despite their name, the Harvard-Radcliffe Juggling Club does not limit itself to juggling. Members meet every Sunday to practice circus skills, which include stilt-walking and unicycling.

While the club’s chief function involves learning and practicing, Skinner and Shivvers are excited for their upcoming performance. “Because juggling and circus acts are all about performing,” Skinner says. “It’s about making other people happy.” The Arts First gig will showcase the club members’ different talents.

They believe that other people will be excited, too. “When’s the chance that you’ll get to see the circus for free?” Skinner says.

—Staff writer Candace I. Munroe can be reached at cimunroe@fas.harvard.edu.