Crimson Posts Mixed Results in Opening Invitational

After dropping a pair of contests to Michigan and NYAC, Harvard found a spark in freshman Devan Kennifer, who posted four goals in the 11-4 victory over Siena in the final round of the Harvard Invitational.
By Eric L. Michel, Contributing Writer

The Crimson women’s water polo team launched the 2009 season at home in the Harvard Invitational this past weekend. The Crimson (1-1) opened the invite with a win against the New York Athletic Club (NYAC) and followed with a loss to No. 8 Michigan on Saturday. On Sunday morning, the team squared off against NYAC again, this time failing to record a victory. The team concluded the weekend against Siena (0-2), gaining its first collegiate win of the season. Harvard looks to improve upon last season’s 12-12 overall record.

HARVARD 11, SIENA 4

After last year’s 12-8 victory against Siena, the Crimson defeated the Saints once again, 11-4, to conclude the invitational at Blodgett Pool. Harvard jumped out to an early 7-0 lead and never looked back.

“It was a really fun game and we learned how to capitalize as a team,” freshman center Devan Kennifer said.

Kennifer scored four goals in the game. Sophomore Patricia Smith, junior Roxanne Pinto, freshman Monica Zdrojewski, junior Kelly Peeler, and co-captain Devon MacLaughlin also contributed offensively.

NYAC 12, HARVARD 10

Earlier on Sunday, the Crimson lost a heartbreaker to NYAC. After building an 8-2 lead by halftime, Harvard gave up eight goals in the third quarter, while scoring only two itself. In the decisive fourth quarter, Crimson coach Erik Farrar’s team was shut out as Harvard lost 12-10.

Despite the final outcome, the team looked impressive in the first half. The Crimson began a 6-0 run less than two minutes into the game. Zdrojewski scored two goals during this stretch.

Farrar credited the first-half success to a “very effective defense” that was “active in transition.”

NYAC opened the second half with five unanswered goals. Farrar claimed that the Harvard counterattack was not successful in the second half.

“We did not execute well on the perimeter in the second half, and that was essentially the decisive thing,” Farrar said. “That allowed them too many opportunities.”

MICHIGAN 13, HARVARD 2

On Saturday, the Crimson faced No. 8 Michigan. Harvard missed some crucial opportunities and made some costly mistakes, which resulted in a 13-2 defeat. Kennifer and junior Kristina Bergquist recorded the two goals. Goalie and co-captain Nicola Perlman made six stops against the Wolverine attack.

Despite the score, Farrar said he was relatively pleased with his team’s performance.

“We didn’t shoot very effectively, [but] as we go forward, we will do a better job of capitalizing on those scoring chances,” Farrar said.

MacLaughlin looked at the game as a chance early in the season to play a top team and see what the team does well and what it needs to do better.

“We see it as a good experience to learn from a really great competitor,” she said.

HARVARD 10, NYAC 6

Earlier on Saturday, the Crimson played NYAC to open its season. Perlman, a former chair of Fifteen Minutes, led her team to a 10-6 victory, making 14 saves. Kennifer also played a leading role in the offense, scoring five goals in her collegiate debut. MacLaughlin scored two goals in the game. Smith, freshman Ita Barton-Kettleborough, and freshman Shannon Purcell all found the net as well.

Farrar described NYAC as an “experienced masters team,” and was pleased with his team’s performance on Saturday. The game marked the debut of freshmen team members.

The new players showed great improvement by “learning how to play together against opponents [and] execute at this level,” Farrar said.

Harvard plays its next games at the Princeton Invitational on Feb. 21 and 22. The squad will square off against Villanova, Princeton, George Washington, and Bucknell.

Women's Water Polo