First-Time Fencer Kim Contributes to Ranked Squad

Sophomore Yunsoo Kim e-mailed her coach, walked onto the fencing team, took on a starting role as a sabre, and will soon get the chance to help her team as it competes for a national title
By Melissa Schellberg, Crimson Staff Writer

There’s nothing quite like a Cinderella story—a tale of a girl who goes from rags to riches.

The Harvard women’s fencing team has a Cinderella story of its own this year, without the evil stepsisters. Sophomore sabre Yunsoo Kim, simply a novice fencer when she entered college, currently finds herself an integral part of what could quite possibly be a National Championship team—something every Division I athlete dreams about. Yet, for Kim, this fairy tale has become a reality.

Unlike her teammates, Kim did not begin fencing at a young age. She didn’t train at the best fencing facility in the country, nor did she compete competitively. In fact, Kim’s high school did not even have a fencing team. She only fenced recreationally in an afterschool program.

“I came here and had to basically learn everything,” Kim said.

Her coach, Peter Brand, has watched Kim grow over the last two years, and is as impressed with her as a person and with her work ethic as he is with her as a fencer.

“She’s been very patient with me and everybody else, for someone who has never fenced before,” Brand said. “It’s remarkable really.”

Kim has had a little luck too, as she just happened to be in the right place at the right time when entering college. It is exceedingly rare for Harvard to be down a starting female fencer. It’s even more extraordinary that a walk-on was given the chance to fill this void in the team. Yet, somehow, the stars aligned, and Kim was able to take advantage of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

“It’s one of the best decisions I’ve made at Harvard,” Kim said.

Last weekend, at the first part of the Ivy Championships, Kim competed in the sabre, winning two bouts and losing a few others by a close margin. Because the Crimson only has three sabre fencers and there are three sabre positions to fill, Kim competes in every tournament.

“I really respect her for her attitude and her character,” Brand said. “She’s making steady progress. I think she’s won the respect and admiration of all of her teammates.”

Instead of having to deal with evil stepsisters, Kim has had the support of her sabre teammates, freshman Caroline Vloka and freshman Hayley Levitt. They offer advice with regards to fencing—advice that Kim views as integral to her success.

“They motivate me, they help me, and they tell me that I can do it,” Kim said. “We all support each other...It’s such a tight team, a great community.”

Kim’s story has come about due to a lack of recruited fencers. This weakness has certainly been recognized by the coaching staff, and Brand has stated that he plans to recruit more sabre fencers in the future. With a move like this, Kim’s future as a starting Harvard fencer is not solidified.

“To her credit, she keeps chugging along, taking what she can get,” Brand said. “She’s supporting us in trying to find [new recruits]. At the same time she is spending a lot of time getting better.”

This year isn’t the only year Kim has helped out her team when it was in a pinch. Last year, as a freshman, she learned an entirely new weapon, the epee, when it was a weak facet of the team.

This year, Kim’s versatility and work ethic allowed her to earn her way to a starting role.

Kim wrote to Brand the summer before entering college, telling him of her desire to fence in college. Although Brand explained that he rarely accepts walk-on­­—especially those who have never fenced before—would end up being an exception to his rule.

Brand was already familiar with the Kim family, having worked with Yunsoo’s father when he was an assistant coach at MIT. Her father also began fencing in college.

Keeping in mind this past relationship, Brand knew he would be able to take a chance on the novice.

“She was willing and able to work really hard,” Brand said. “I saw that in her as I did her father. I expected to see something special, and we did. We do have a special person here.”

This Sunday the women’s fencing team will play for the Ivy League title. After that, it will compete for a national championship. Kim will fence for Harvard in the sabre. We shall see if this Cinderella gets her happy ending.

—Staff writer Melissa Schellberg can be reached at mlschell@fas.harvard.

Fencing