SPORTS BRIEF: Seniors Pizzotti and Bryant Enter NFL As Undrafted Free Agents

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Seniors Chris Pizzotti and Desmond Bryant will be joining an illustrious list of Harvard graduates in the NFL, including six-time Pro Bowler Matt Birk and Ryan Fitzpatrick, according to GoCrimson.com.

Both players were signed as undrafted free agents—Pizzotti by the New York Jets and Bryant by the Oakland Raiders—following the completion of the 2009 NFL draft on Sunday.

Pizzotti left his mark on the Harvard record books, placing himself on a short list of players to have a hand in three Ivy Championships. The fifth-year senior watched from the sidelines as Fitzpatrick led the Crimson to a perfect 10-0 season in 2004, then led two back-to-back championship teams of his own in 2007 and 2008.

The Jets used their first-round pick to claim quarterback Mark Sanchez from USC, so Pizzotti will start down the depth chart. Of course, Pizzotti began his collegiate career as a backup to classmate Liam O’Hagan, before taking the spotlight and the starting job following O’Hagan’s suspension.

Pizzotti drew heat for his comments to the Boston Globe stating that he was offered a deal by the Jets in the sixth round of the draft, which would have been a violation of NFL rules. Pizzotti later clarified his statement, saying that there was no formal deal agreed on before the draft’s conclusion.

At defensive end, Bryant finished the 2008 campaign with 20 total tackles, including 12 solos and eight assisted. Four and a half of those tackles accounted for losses totaling 14 yards.

Bryant will be looking to bolster a Raider defense that ranked 31st in rush yards allowed, 27th in total yards allowed, and 24th in points allowed. Oakland finished third in the AFC West last season at 5-11.

—DIXON MCPHILLIPS

Football