Location, Location, Location

You’ve got the look down, that song stuck in your head, and after six rounds of Quarters, you have a
By FM Staff

You’ve got the look down, that song stuck in your head, and after six rounds of Quarters, you have a good buzz going. Now where to? FM’s here with the best of the best in three categories: final clubs, house common spaces, and party suites. They’re not always open to the whole school, however, so remember to have a back-up plan, a heavily skewed girl-guy ratio, or a good story.

Final Club: The Fly

Rather than merely wishing you were a fly on the wall at this illustrious final club, spice things up and stop by the Fly this weekend. Expect popped collars and popped bottles. No matter the occasion—whether a formal affair or laid-back Saturday night—the Fly always delivers. The Fly’s relaxed, classy vibe promises that you’ll start the night off on the right, albeit tipsy, foot. FYI, pastels are practically a prerequisite for the Fly’s renowned garden parties, and their old-school Gatsby bash lets a select few (invite-only, of course) party like it’s 1929. But no need to attend one of these events if you’re looking for a good time. No matter the night, come to the Fly to throw back some liquor as you soak up the refined, throw back atmosphere of this favorite party spot. For some old school Harvard flair, and a relaxed, chilled-out ambience, the Fly is the place to drink, smoke, and be classy.

Honorable Mention: The Spee

If you’re seeking a sweaty good time, the Spee is your spot. Known for its Euro Trash parties, the Spee is indeed the place to get trashed—and party like a rock star. But whether you come dressed up in costume or dressed down in jeans, the Spee is the place to shed your inhibitions. Shimmy off the calories from the bar by hitting the dance floor. After all, the Spee is the place for locking lips and limbs. With the Spee’s bursting-at-the-seams dance floor and blaring tunes, Harvard students venture to the Spee to party, and indeed, the Spee knows how to deliver. So if you’re looking to get your groove on and enjoy some eclectic tunes and unpretentious, vibrant company, head to the Spee for a guaranteed good time.

House Common Space: Currier Treehouse

While a shuttle ride to the Quad is an unfortunate part of the package, a glimpse at the Currier Treehouse will assure you that it was well worth the trek. One of Harvard’s most spacious party spots, the Treehouse is also one of the most frequented. A favorite of some of the most dynamic organizations on campus, the Treehouse is an excellent alternative for those seeking a reprieve from the final club scene. With its accessible, well-positioned bar and extensive floor space, the Treehouse never fails to pack in the booze and the people. Drink, dance, and schmooze at the Quad’s most illustrious party spot. Plus, for all you non-Quadlings, expect excellent fodder for conversation on your Shuttle ride home; debrief on all the hottest hook-ups and fashion faux pas at the denouement of a night well spent.

Party Suite: Quincy Terrace

There are ways to distinguish the truly great party suites from your garden variety pong table-equipped room, and the fact that it can be found merely by following the smell of beer on a quiet Sunday afternoon places Quincy Terrace solidly in the former category. Actually two senior suites joined by a door and a balcony, the athletes who usually occupy the Terrace host parties that easily top the 100-guest mark. The balcony deserves recognition in its own right; overlooking the courtyard on two sides, it has room for several kegs, a table, massive speakers, and revelers yearning for fresh air around 1 a.m. Inside, you’ll find couches, refrigerators, and a big-screen TV, as well as a decked-out corner bar. All of this makes for a suite that can provide the setting for everything from rowdy Beerlympic games to the quieter, classier affairs.

Runner-Up: Currier Ten-Man

You’re probably wondering how Currier, the House with the inanimate mascot, made it onto this esteemed list twice. Well, what this House lacks in size, proximity, and overall notoriety, it more than makes up for with serious party space. The Ten-Man—in fact occupied by ten women this year—has ten singles, a staircase, an elevator, and a common room unlikely to be paralleled in terms of sheer cubic footage. If the high ceilings weren’t enough, the skylights make this suite an apt location for the “Heaven” in the annual “Heaven and Hell” party. And the Terrace may have its balcony, but if you’re daring (and one of the residents is willing to let you walk through her single), just pop open a bedroom window and climb out onto the wide roof. Bring out a chair while you’re at it; after a hard night out, you deserve it.

Honorable Mention: Mather Big TV Room

The Box That Dunster Came In may be famous for sacrificing its dining hall and its dignity once a year for Mather Lather, but the Big TV Room and its Friday night happy hours do a better job of legitimating Mather’s reputation as a party house. With a huge window opening out into the lower level of the courtyard, it’s spacious enough to accommodate thirsty Matherites (as well as the smattering of freeloading outsiders), yet it’s also more intimate than the mindless, faceless d-hall rager. On top of it all, the House’s lax ID policy means universal access to the mixed drinks, Franzia, and, of course, the keg, which the HoCo is often thoughtful enough to fill with something a bit more flavorful than Keystone Light and its cousins. And even though it may be a hike—farther than the Quad from the center of campus by some estimates—there is the Mather Express, and you’ll catch a glimpse of the Charles at night as you walk over to the Spee.