Women's Swimming Dominates Penn in Return to Action

By Eric L. Michel, Crimson Staff Writer

For the eighth consecutive year, Harvard women’s swimming defeated Penn (2-3, 2-3 Ivy). The Crimson (4-0, 4-0) won all 13 contested events on its way to a 195-80 victory in Sheerr Pool in Philadelphia, not including scores from the diving events that took place in Princeton as part of the Princeton Diving Invitational.

The early January meet fell in the middle of the team’s peak training, so coach Stephanie Morawski wanted to see her team’s full potential.

“The goal was to put people in their best events and see what they can do,” Morawski said. “They raced hard. They executed a really good race plan. They surprised themselves by how well they did.”

The swimmers also were happy with their effort.

“I think we all did such a great job,” junior Kate Mills. “We all raced really hard and it was really impressive to watch. We came together a lot as a team and it shows when you see the results.”

“We had good enthusiasm and that translated into our good performance,” junior Ali Slack said.

The Crimson opened the dual meet with a 1-2 finish in the 200-yard medley relay. Junior Katy Hinkle, freshman Mackenzie Luick, freshman Kelly Robinson, and junior Ali Slack took the top spot.

“The first race really motivates everyone for the meet,” Morawski said. “It got us off on the right foot. Both [Harvard relay] teams were very good.”

Harvard kept its momentum with two more 1-2 finishes in the next two races. Junior Christine Kaufmann persevered to take the 1000-yard freestyle and junior Katherine Pickard finished atop the 200 free standings.

Harvard swept the top three spots in six events. Hinkle won the 100-yard backstroke against Penn for the third consecutive year, improving upon her winning time from last year’s meet by over a second. Robinson sprinted to take the 50 free, sophomore Meghan Leddy topped the 200-yard backstroke standings, sophomore Helen Pitchik touched first in the 200-yard breaststroke, and Robinson claimed victory in the 100-yard butterfly for her third victory of the day. Finally, junior Kate Mills set a pool record with her 4:54.33 time in the 500 free.

“[Kate] knew that time was doable,” Morawski said. “She got a commanding lead and got stronger as the race went along. She’s been training well so it’s not much of a surprise.”

Mills set another pool record in the 200 fly with a time of 2:00.36, breaking the previous record she set during her freshman year of 2:02.84.

“She was fabulous,” Morawski said. “She had the pool record and wanted to break it. She finished so strong.”

Luick also won the 100-yard breaststroke to accompany her earlier relay victory. Luick’s relay teammate Hinkle won her third event by touching first in the 100 free.

Sophomore Kristi Korsberg placed first in the 200-yard individual medley.

Prior to the meet, the team set a goal as a team to set as many pool records as possible, according to Mills. Robinson, Slack, freshman Camille Hendrix, and Hinkle did their part to fulfill that goal by setting a pool record of 3:30.68 in an exhibition 400-yard freestyle relay, the third pool record of the day.

“Robinson got them off to a great start,” Morawski said. “Katy [Hinkle] loves to race. She knew she would have to be fast if they had a chance at that record.”

“It was a team effort,” Slack said of the relay. “Everyone swam well.”

With the new academic schedule affecting the swim schedule, the meet’s score may have been more one-sided than in past years.

“If we had had another meet in December like in the past,” Morawski said, “then I would not have had my swimmers in their best event and it might have been more competitive.”

Additionally, the new schedule has allowed swimmers to take the month of January to focus on training and a healthy lifestyle without other distractions.

“Without the stress of exams or schoolwork, the team has been able to catch up on sleep,” Morawski said. “This academic schedule could work out for us.”

Women's Swimming