Party Like a Mean Girl

“You may think you like someone, but...you could be wrong.”
By BETH E. BRAITERMAN

Last Friday night, this profound phrase (and a dozen others) graced the walls of Adams C-entry. Passersby peeked into the LCR to find the reason behind the new decor and found the Mean Girls Party, sponsored by Harvard College Queer Students and Allies and the Radcliffe Union of Students. Inside, students danced and mingled under Christmas lights and over non-alcoholic drinks—some displaying strategically located paper cutouts on their chests. QSA co-chair Marco Chan ’11 also topped off his outfit with a pair of animal ears. “I’m a moose. Duh,” he said.

QSA social co-chair Alexandru Chivescu ’13 had been planning this event since May. “‘Mean Girls’ is popular across genders, and the conclusion emphasizes striving for a more socially inclusive world,” he said. During the party, Chivescu sported a Plastic-esque Santa hat while DJing. Within individual songs, he had embedded popular quotes from the film, such as “Don’t have sex” (because you will get pregnant and die).

Shanti S. Kris ’12, RUS co-president and Women’s Outreach and Events Chair of QSA, stressed that the film has relevance beyond its cult status. “‘Mean Girls’ is one of the few teen movies that portray queer issues in a positive light,” she said. In particular, the film does not ridicule Janis but rather the Plastics for unfairly labeling her.

Yet the film’s wide appeal played a role in generating a high turnout. “This is one of the first events that we’ve consciously structured to have a broader appeal,” Chan said. Chivescu expressed some disappointment, as many of the Regina-emulators and enthusiastic dancers were from other colleges.

For many, the party lived up to its hype. “It’s fabulous. We are fabulous. We are here to stay being fabulous,” said attendee James R. Sares ’12.

For The Moment