BRIEF: Women’s swimming takes 10 of 11 races in exhibition competition

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

In preparation for the upcoming Ivy League Championships, the Harvard women’s swimming and diving team invited Northeastern University to Blodgett Pool for a practice meet on Friday night.

The Crimson excelled in the friendly, relay-based matchup, not only posting wins in 10 of 11 events but also gaining valuable experience for the championship tournament it will host on Feb. 25-27.

Harvard started off the meet with solid times in the swimming events.

The Crimson ‘A’ teams won the 3x50-yard butterfly relay with a time of 1:19.38 and the 3x50-yard backstroke relay in 1:22.72.

The ‘B’ teams also triumphed in a fair share of races, taking the 3x50-yard breaststroke relay (1:34.55), 3x100-yard medley relay (3:01.38), and the 200-yard medley relay (1:50.69).

The only race the Huskies won on the day was in the 500-yard freestyle, coming in three seconds ahead of the Harvard ‘A’ team in 4:47.90.

In the only individual swimming matchup, co-captain Alexandra Clarke came in first in the 1000-yard freestyle, recording a time of 10:21.21. Co-captain Kay Foley was second in 10:24.05.

When it came to diving, the Crimson took the top three spots in the 3-meter competition but allowed Northeastern to take second place in the 1-meter dive.

Junior Jenny Reese and freshman Brittany Powell had strong performances at the meet, finishing first in their respective diving fixtures.

Harvard has little over a week before vying for the Ivy League title.

—BRIAN A. CAMPOS

Women's Swimming