Schumer Recalls the ‘American Dream’

Senator Charles Schumer of New York spoke to students in the Kirkland JCR on Friday at "A Sense of Schumer", an event sponsored by the Harvard Democrats.
By Aisling H. Crane, Contributing Writer

Senator Charles “Chuck” E. Schumer ’71 said the Democratic Party must help restore the public’s faith in the “American Dream” during a talk in the Kirkland Junior Common Room on Friday.

“The goal ought to be to have the American Dream alive again,” Schumer said.

The Democrats need to convince the middle class that they are working on its behalf, he said.

The event—which filled the JCR—was organized by Kirkland House and the Harvard College Democrats.

His remarks spanned a range of topics, including his thoughts on the economy and his time at Harvard.

Speaking about the state of the economy, Schumer described the country as “a big strong giant with a cake moustache.” He said that while the U.S. has the capacity to out-produce other nations, it is currently riddled by overconsumption.

“[We need to] resume being the production giant rather than the consumption giant,” he said.

The senator, who received both his A.B. from Harvard College and J.D. from Harvard Law School, also talked to the audience about his experiences at Harvard, including his initial worries about being able to fit in at a time when the majority of Harvard students came from private schools.

“When I went to Harvard everyone was either from very wealthy suburbs or from university towns,” Schumer, who was brought up in Brooklyn, told students in the audience.

President of the Harvard Young Democrats as a student at the College, he described how he first became involved in politics at Harvard. He said his interest in politics led him to change his concentration from chemistry  to government.

“It’s where people and ideas meet,” he said, explaining why politics appealed to him. “I realized I was much more of a people person.”

He also talked about his career path in answer to an audience question on what inspired him to run for elected office, advising students to “do what you love.”

“When I graduated so many people wanted to run for office,” Schumer said, expressing his pleasure at the current pattern of students becoming involved increasingly with programs like Teach for American after graduation.

Audience member S. Susan Zhu ’11, said that the Senator was able to relate to students and was “very down to earth.”

“Having worked in the Senate, I know that they’re not always able to interact with students. Some of them aren’t the most comfortable around the younger generation. I thought he did a great job,” Zhu said.

“It went really well,” said Nicholas R. Perkons ’14, adding that the senator was “very articulate.”

PoliticsEvents