Independent Designer's Market Features Local Artists

The Independent Designer’s Market—held on the second Sunday of each month at 30 Brattle St.—offers local artists the opportunity to sell clothing, jewelry, photography, and art.
By Kerry M. Flynn, Crimson Staff Writer

The Pit in Harvard Square is filled with a variety of local artists—street singers, break dancers, painters—all contributing to the Square’s historically off-beat atmosphere, and local designer Kimberly V. Benson has given independent artists a new indoor space in the Square to show and sell their work by establishing the Independent Designer’s Market, located at 30 Brattle Street.

The market is held on the second Saturday of every month from noon to 6 p.m. and features a variety of vendors that sell clothing, jewelry, photography, and art.

Benson, a New Jersey native who now lives in Cambridge, runs her own graphic apparel company called Heretic City, whose products are featured in the market.

“Being on the vendor side of markets, I have developed such a greater appreciation for the people who coordinate them,” Benson said.

The market includes a diverse group of products and prices, ranging from $10 shirts to $1,600 handcrafted bamboo bicycles. Each show features 15 to 20 designers, mostly from Massachusetts.

Dedham resident Amy Rose, owner of Vintage Fuss, has participated in the Independent Designer’s Market since its beginning. Unlike a typical beading jeweler, Rose repurposes vintage jewelry. She uses vintage pieces, such as brooches and clip-on earrings, found in flea markets and online, to create new items that “better appeal to this generation,” she said.

Rose said she believes Harvard Square’s age demographic to be the perfect fit for her product.

“It appeals to the young hipsters who are really into vintage pieces and the older crowd who I often make custom pieces for,” Rose said.

Originally from the Midwest, Rose said she was disappointed by the lack of markets in the Boston area.

“I’m so thankful that Kimberly has brought independent designers together in the area. Every week I get to meet a new talented person,” Rose said.

To sell at the show, designers can make reservations online at idmboston.com. Benson also offers a discounted, student rate for space and encourages local students to participate and attend.

“Harvard Square is starting to become taken over by conglomerates. I’m trying to keep this space local, so we can support our own artists,” Benson said.

Benson decided to open the Independent Designer’s Market after also noticing the lack of full-year markets in Boston. She first ran the market in Boston’s South End last year but decided to switch venues in search of a place with greater foot traffic.

One of her vendors suggested looking at places in Harvard Square. The 3,500-square-foot space at 30 Brattle Street has been empty for nearly five years, according to Benson. Richard Getz, the property owner, agreed to contract the location to Benson on a week-to-week basis until a permanent buyer is found.

“We like to help people who are enthusiastic about their business and have a new, creative concept,” Getz said. “It’s refreshing to see someone like Kimberly, who is energized with an idea and has put her heart in it.”

Benson said she will continue to hold monthly shows—and weekly shows in December for the holiday season—until the space is taken.

The next show will be held on Oct. 8.

—Staff writer Kerry M. Flynn can be reached at kflynn@college.harvard.edu.

Harvard Square