Top Ten: Bestsellers at ‘The Million Year Picnic’

By Tree A. Palmedo, Contributing Writer

Tucked into a basement on Mt. Auburn Street beneath a hair salon and photo shop, “The Million Year Picnic” may not catch the eye of the average pedestrian. But it is in this unlikely location that Tony F. Davis ’84 has established one of the most eclectic comic book shops this side of the Charles and an underground haven for every kind of comic fan. In business since 1974, “The Picnic” stocks everything from funky indie gems to standard capes-and-tights fare, with a sizeable t-shirt collection for those wishing to flaunt their inner nerds.

1. Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Illustrator)

Davis says: “Vaughan, writer of the hit series “Y: The Last Man,” has essentially been AWOL from comics for the last two years to write television; Saga is his grand return to comics, and it’s our biggest seller.”

2. The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman

Sales of this zombie epic have been hugely boosted by its AMC television adaptation. “It’s extremely impressive that Kirkman can keep things fresh after a hundred-plus issues,” says Davis.

3. Love and Rockets: New Stories No. 5 by Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez

4. Animal Man Vol. 1 by Jeff Lemire

This is the most popular of DC Comics’ September 2011 line-wide reboot, “The New 52.” He’s animal man. With animal powers. Enough said.

5. Amulet Vol. 5: Prince of the Elves by Kazu Kibuishi

6. Avatar, The Last Airbender: The Promise—Part Three by Gene Luen Yang

7. Prophet Vol. 1: Remission by Brandon Graham

Graham’s artwork, according to Davis, is like a synthesis of everything that’s out there; it has American, European, and Asian styles all mashed together into one great book.

8. Feynman by Jim Ottaviani and Leland Myrick (Illustrator)

9. Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton

10. Are You My Mother? A Comic Drama by Alison Bechdel

Visual ArtsCambridge