Men's Soccer Contest Postponed Against Holy Cross

Freshman forward Jake Freeman is knotted in a three-way tie for first place on the Harvard men’s soccer team with three goals. Freeman and the Crimson will take on Holy Cross on a date to be determined.
By Hope Schwartz, Contributing Writer

The Harvard men’s soccer team will have to wait a little longer to try and snap their current two-game losing streak.

The Crimson (2-9-3, 0-4-1 Ivy) was set to face off with Holy Cross (5-8-2, 2-2-2 Patriot League) on Tuesday, but the onset of Hurricane Sandy caused the game to be postponed to a date to be determined.

This will be the last non-conference game for Harvard, which currently sits in seventh place in the Ivy League with two conference games to play.

Against Holy Cross, the team is looking to come out strong in the first half and avoiding taking tie games into overtime.

This season the Crimson has gone into overtime seven times and won only once, on Oct. 16 against BU.

In a season of close games—Harvard has only lost by more than one goal twice—the Crimson players say they seek to prove that the results have not reflected the talent on the team.

Led by a balanced offense, the Crimson has been shut out only four times in fourteen games.

Senior Zack Wolfenzon and freshmen Oliver White and Jake Freeman sit atop the Harvard leaderboard with three goals apiece.

The three are tied for seventh place for goals in the Ivy League.

The Crimson is averaging 0.9 goals per game, but it has not been enough to rack up wins. They have been outscored 26-12 despite strong efforts from freshmen goalkeepers Evan Mendez and Joe Festa, who each boast .714 save percentages.

The Crusaders enter the game on a two-game winning streak, led by forward Josh Cintas, who has scored six goals this season. Kevin O’Connell has also been dangerous in front of the net, with four assists and one goal on the year so far.

The two teams did not face each other last season, but Harvard has won the matchup in the previous three years.

Sports BriefsMen's Soccer