Harvard Food Fights

Harvard has been getting angry about food lately.
By Nicole J. Levin

According to American Thinker, last month a graduate student posted an angry rant about an Israeli food station in the Business School cafeteria that served non-Israeli cuisine. The article claims that Sara el-Yafi, a Harvard graduate, argued in a vicious and rapid Facebook rant that couscous, among other things, is not actually Israeli and this mislabeling is a slap in the face to Arab culture.

You can add the expletives where you see fit.

Harvard Hillel has also experienced some asterisk-invoking drama, with HUDS temporarily restricting the dining hall to Jewish students. The reason, as given by HUDS, was that the Hillel kitchen was too small to serve the vast number of students who eat there and that the Kosher meals they serve are much more expensive than regular dining hall fare.

The response, especially as demonstrated by comments on The Crimson website, was full of angry references to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, circumcision, and the occasional “LOL.”

Perhaps in response to this public outrage, HUDS revoked restrictions.

Are these recent “Food Fights” an anomaly, or should we expect more of them in the future of Harvard dining services? We may never know. What is clear, however, is that people just are not doing them right.

To see how to do a proper food fight, FM turned to an expert. Alma, a five-year-old who lives in Dunster, agreed to share a few suggestions on how to correctly engage in one.

Here are a few of her tips:

What to throw:

Soft balls, pickles, and tomatoes. “Pickles are juicy,” and tomatoes might “make a big splash, like tomatoes sauce.”

What not to throw:

Banana peels and needles because “bad stuff happens.”

Baby food “would be silly.”

How to throw:

Overhand.

Messes?

Are bad. “If it is real food it will be scary — because they will think it is blood or something.”

For The MomentFood and DrinkWhine and DineLevityA Little Levity