Barney Frank '61-'62, Andy Samberg To Address Seniors at Class Day

By Jane Seo, Crimson Staff Writer

Mass. House Representative Barnett “Barney” Frank ’61-’62 and comedian Andy Samberg will speak at Class Day as the guest alumni speaker and the guest speaker, respectively, according to a video message sent to some seniors by the Senior Class Committee earlier today.

This is the first time that Class Day will feature two guest speakers.

“We are excited to bring an alum of the College to Class Day as a way to cap off the year long celebration of Harvard’s 375th anniversary,” Class Marshal Matthew J. DaSilva ’12 said.

Frank, who represents the Fourth Congressional District of Massachusetts and serves as the Ranking Member of the House Financial Services Committee, began his political career in the Massachusetts State House before he won a seat in the U.S. Congress in 1980. He is known for his work on national issues, such as helping to pass the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, as well as on local issues, such as providing affordable rental housing and supporting local organizations and businesses.

Samberg, currently in his seventh season as a cast member of Saturday Night Live, has demonstrated his talent in writing, singing, and acting on the show. Samberg has won a Creative Arts Emmy for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics and will be next seen in the film, “That’s My Boy,” with Adam Sandler. Samberg’s other films include “Friends With Benefits,” “I Love You Man,” and “Hot Rod.”

First Class Marshal Bonnie Cao ’12 said the speakers were chosen after taking into consideration the results from a survey sent out to the senior class.

“I think they both represent iconic voices that have defined our generation in different ways—Samberg through his humor, and Frank through his leadership and bravery, regardless of how you might feel about his politics,” Cao said.

The ceremony will also include the traditional Ivy and Harvard orations, as well as remarks from Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds. The student speakers have not yet been announced.

—Staff writer Jane Seo can ben reached at janeseo@college.harvard.edu.

CommencementPoliticsEventsSeniorsClass Day