Start-Up Launches Growth Hack Competition

By Madeline R. Conway, Crimson Staff Writer

A competition launched by a Harvard graduate is encouraging students of all disciplines to try their hands at developing a “hack” of their own.

Rabbit, a technology start-up based in San Francisco, launched the competition for Boston-area college students on Monday. The competition asks applicants to develop and implement an idea for a program called a “growth hack,” which would grow Rabbit’s user base in the 17- to 25-year-old demographic.

Rabbit is a Facebook application that facilitates uploading photos and videos to the social networking site.

The winner of the competition will receive a $2,500 scholarship for the upcoming fall semester, as well as a paid internship in Rabbit’s Silicon Valley office this summer. Rabbit will also continue to develop the winning growth hack.

Michael J. Temkin ’94, Rabbit’s chief strategy officer, said students from any academic background—not just computer science—are encouraged to enter the competition. Temkin said that the key to developing a growth hack is innovation, so students with interests in other subjects, such as marketing, could do well in the competition as well.

“We’re looking for people who have great ideas on how to build a community, and the ability to go execute those ideas as well,” Temkin said. “What’s fun about the contest is that it’s not just about the ideas—it’s about making things happen, which is key to success as a start-up.”

Stephanie L. Morgan, one of Rabbit’s four co-founders, added that the competition is “open to all kinds of minds and all kinds of people.”

“The core thing is just to be awesome and creative,” Morgan said.

Interested students must submit their growth strategies by April 5. A team of judges will then work with applicants on their submissions, which the students will execute on their own respective college campus on April 15 before the winners are awarded first, second, or third place.

The second-place finisher will win a $2,500 scholarship, while the third-place finisher receives $1,000.

Temkin said he hopes the competition will encourage students’ innovation.

“We’re really hoping that this will really inspire people to be as creative as possible,” Temkin said.

—Staff writer Madeline R. Conway can be reached at mconway@college.harvard.edu. Follow her on Twitter @MadelineRConway.

CollegeBostonTechnology