On Day of Loss, Hillel Commemorates Israeli Memorial Day

By Annie C. Harvieux, Crimson Staff Writer

While the Harvard community struggled to comprehend the news of deadly explosions at the Boston Marathon, several dozen students gathered at Harvard Hillel Monday to commemorate Yom HaZikaron, Israel’s day of remembrance for fallen soldiers and victims of terrorism.

Hillel staff member Dana Silberstein called the Israeli Memorial Day holiday “oddly more relatable” in light of the day’s events. One speaker changed his speech in light of the bombing, choosing to quote American author John Steinbeck and discuss the United States and Israeli militaries rather than give the speech he had originally written. Multiple speakers mentioned that while violence is unusual in American daily life, it is far more common for the Israeli people.

“It’s crazy timing, with the Boston Marathon explosions,” Beth I. Drucker ’13 said.

In recognition of the holiday, Hillel offered a talk by visiting history professor Benny Morris of Ben-Gurion University in Israel. Students also marked the occasion by delivering speeches.

Yom HaZikaron, which became a national holiday in Israel in 1963, features traditions including silence, prayers, the sounding of a siren, remembrance of deceased family and friends, and flags flown at half-staff. Attendees explained that the day is similar to Memorial Day in the United States.

The event, and the holiday, closed at sunset with a reception complete with music, falafel, and baklava. The reception marked the beginning of Yom Ha’atzmaut, Israel’s Independence Day.

Student GroupsHillelBoston MarathonHoliday