Comeback Player of the Year, Runner-Up: Andy Nguyen, Men's Tennis

By Justin C. Wong, Crimson Staff Writer

Heading into his senior season, men’s tennis co-captain Andy Nguyen was determined to lead his team as best he could. But in order to do so, he first had to stay on the court, something he was unable to do during his junior year.

“I’ve had so many injuries over my four years here,” Nguyen said. “What kept me out my junior year was an abdominal injury that made it tough to serve. I’ve joked that I was always injured, and that I played better injured because it kept my mind focused. I took my body for granted.”

This season, Nguyen overcame a hip injury in the fall and returned stronger than ever in the spring, going 16-4 in dual play singles action as he led the Crimson to a second consecutive Ivy League title and a Round of 32 appearance in the NCAA tournament.

Nguyen also teamed up with freshman Nicky Hu in second doubles, where they posted a 13-5 record in dual play. For his efforts, Nguyen earned second team all-Ivy honors in both singles and doubles.

“I don't really pay attention to individual accolades,” he said. “I did what had to be done in order to get the team a title. The goal was to win Ivies, and I’m just happy that we accomplished that.”

Nguyen was an important force for Harvard both on and off the court, according to head coach Dave Fish.

“It’s dramatic what Andy was able to do,” he said. “Being captain is a special responsibility, and he wanted to do his very best by the team. We didn’t know what to expect from him this year after all of his injuries. But he really drove the spike home this season. He was dominant and knocked the other team’s head off, and the rest of the team followed and killed the body.”

Sophomore Shaun Chaudhuri noted how important of a leader Nguyen was for the team this season.

“He’s taught us so much in terms of leadership and how to push yourself,” he said. “He’s been such a strong force for us all year. Off the court, he’s someone you look up to and want to emulate.”

Nguyen saved his best tennis for the big moments, going 5-2 in conference singles play and posting a 6-1, 6-2 win in the first round of the NCAA tournament against Samford.

The senior led the team this year, but someone else will need to set the tone for the Crimson next year if the team hopes to replicate this year’s success.

“Andy was the guy this year,” Fish said. “So we’ll miss him, and have to hope that someone else steps up and is the guy next year.”

—Staff writer Justin C. Wong can be reached at justinwong@college.harvard.edu

Year in SportsSports Award RU