Men's Soccer Tops Pittsburgh To Extend Win Streak to Five

Senior forward Tim Schmoll notched one of three Harvard goals against Pittsburgh, helping extend the team's win streak to five games.
Senior forward Tim Schmoll notched one of three Harvard goals against Pittsburgh, helping extend the team's win streak to five games. By Shunella Grace Lumas
By Max McEvoy, Contributing Writer

UPDATED: October 21, 2015, at 5:37 a.m.

Taking a break from conference play for the penultimate time this season, the Harvard men’s soccer team (6-4-2, 3-0 Ivy) won a 3-2 thriller over the University of Pittsburgh (5-7-3, 0-5-1 ACC) on Tuesday to extend its mid-season winning streak to five games.

In the 67th minute, with the score level, senior forward Jake Freeman helped produce the game-winner, whipping a corner into a crowded box. The ball rattled around in the penalty area before falling to senior winger Michael Innocenzi, who powered it into the roof of the net. The close range volley, Innocenzi’s first score of the season, provided the game’s third and final lead change, leading the Crimson to a 3-2 win.

Harvard had its hands full against the Panthers, who after conceding the game’s first score, reclaimed the lead thanks to two goals in five minutes from freshman defender Matt Bragg and senior midfielder Patrick Dixon.

Pitt’s lead lasted a mere nine minutes, however. The Crimson, through quick and incisive one-touch play, managed to break down Pitt’s defense with senior striker Tim Schmoll, who attempted to lift a ball through to freshman attacking midfielder Cesar Farias.

But before the pass could come down, a Panther defender handled the ball in the box with his hand. Schmoll dispatched the penalty with aplomb, and on the stroke of halftime, the score was level at 2-2.

Capitalizing off of set piece opportunities proved important for the shorthanded Harvard squad. After earning a 1-0 victory over Brown Saturday night, the team flew down to Pittsburgh with a small squad. Among those who did not see playing time was junior co-captain Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu, who also missed the Brown game with a hamstring injury.

“We were physically lacking a bit,” Schmoll said. “[However] we are pretty good in terms of our mentality and fight. We have won some games by playing very well, and we have won some games by just fighting. Knowing that we have that in our arsenal is a big confidence booster for the whole group.”

Harvard opened the scoring in the same vein as Innocenzi’s winner. Again there was a corner, with the left boot of sophomore Christian Sady putting in a dangerous cross. Up rose junior center back Dan Smith, who headed the ball home. Set piece goals were a theme throughout the match, representing four of the match’s five goals.

Before the Panthers levelled the score at 1-1, Harvard had not conceded a goal since Yale’s 7th minute tally in a 3-1 Harvard victory in early October—a shutout streak lasting 378 minutes.

But on Tuesday, the Crimson was led by its offense—an attack that produced three goals, the most that Harvard has scored against an opponent all season.

“We were finding a lot of space today,” Schmoll said. “In the past few games we have been much more direct. Our finishing has improved.”

After going up 3-2, Harvard staved off the Panthers for the last 23 minutes. Pitt produced just one shot over that period, finishing with six on the night—three of which were on target. The Crimson, meanwhile, finished with six of its own, but Harvard never missed the target.

Despite earning just one win in its first seven games, the Crimson now finds itself in a groove heading into the final stage of the season, with four of its last five games coming against Ivy League opponents. Though he claims there is still plenty of work left to be done, Schmoll attributes the success of the team to consistency.

“At the start of the season we would have a great performance, then we would drop off,” Schmoll said. “Since then we have really improved in our consistency. It’s showing in our results.”

Harvard coach Pieter Lehrer expressed similar thoughts following his side’s weekend win over Brown.

“I think we just have to get better every day,” Lehrer said. “That’s what we look to do—making improvements every day.... We’ll just take it one training at a time and really that’s what we do. The group is finding a rhythm, which is great.”­

Men's Soccer