From Beef to Bots? Harvard Professors Mired in Debate Over Spam Emails, Industry-Funded Research

Days Before Deadline, Environmentalist Overseer Campaign Harvard Forward On Track To Reach Nomination Goal

Swissbäkers Reopens Allston Location in Light of Recent Closures

Harvard Scientists Find Stress Makes Hair Turn Gray

The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

One Dead, Another Injured After Shooting Near Mt. Auburn Hospital

By Beth Young, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED: March 24, 2016, at 12:18 a.m.

One individual died and another remains hospitalized with serious injuries after a shooting near Mt. Auburn Hospital late Tuesday night, according to Meghan Kelly, Communications Director of the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office.

Armando Hernandez, Jr., 30 of Belmont, was transported to Mt. Auburn Hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to Kelly. The other victim, an adult male, remains in a Boston hospital with serious injuries as of late Wednesday morning.

CPD spokesperson Jeremy Warnick wrote in an email at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday that immediately after the incident occurred by the 300th block of Mt. Auburn Street, two male victims had been sent to nearby hospitals with serious injuries. The investigation is ongoing, and officials have not released information about a suspect.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Warnick said an arrest has yet to be made.

"Cambridge Police believe this is a targeted incident and that there is no threat to the public’s safety," he wrote in an email.

Harvard University Police Department alerted students to avoid the area, which is located about a mile from Harvard Square. HUPD sent their alert at about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Michael L. O’Connell, Vice President of Mt. Auburn Hospital, said that late Tuesday night the hospital operated as it would any other night. The building was secured and the emergency department was still open, O’Connell said.

—Check thecrimson.com for more updates.

CrimeHUPDCambridge PoliceMetro NewsMetro