BRIEF: Men's and Women's Fencing Sweep Regional Opponents

By Caleb Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

Fresh off competing in the St. John's Invitational a few weeks prior, the Harvard men's and women's fencing squads squared up against regional foes on Saturday at the Malkin Athletic Center. Both groups walked away with victories, with the women sweeping NYU and Tufts, and the men handling the Bobcats as well.

The No. 7 Crimson men (6-5) avenged last December's 14-13 nail-biter of a loss to NYU by taking all three weapons. Led by sophomore epee fencer Albert Chien's 3-0 record—including a come-from-behind victory in the final epee bout of the day—the epee group went 5-4, while the foil and saber teams finished with 6-3 and 5-4 bout records, respectively, to tally the Crimson's 16-11 overall win.

Also coming into the weekend ranked seventh in the nation, the women's squad dominated both the Bobcats and the Jumbos, with team wins of 20-7 and 25-2, respectively. Captain and foil fencer Liana Yamin and freshman saber fencer Marta Lasota both finished with undefeated records for the day, with Yamin posting a plus-12 touch indicator en route to four bout wins and Lasota winning all six of her bouts to carry a saber squad that finished 14-4 cumulatively on the day.

On the women's epee side, junior Claire Dinhut finished 3-0 and had a plus-3 indicator to key the Crimson.

Fencing