Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center Names Laura Manley as New Executive Director

Incoming Shorenstein Center director Laura Manley currently serves as the inaugural director of the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs’ Technology and Public Purpose Project, also based at HKS.
Incoming Shorenstein Center director Laura Manley currently serves as the inaugural director of the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs’ Technology and Public Purpose Project, also based at HKS. By Courtesy of Harvard Kennedy School
By Eric Yan, Crimson Staff Writer

Laura Manley will serve as executive director of the Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center beginning Sept. 7, the Center announced earlier this month.

The Shorenstein Center is a research center focused on the intersection of press, politics, and public policy. Manley brings to the Shorenstein Center more than a decade of experience improving the accessibility of information and data to the public and government.

“The work the Shorenstein Center is doing on all sides of the information ecosystem right now is deeply important, and I am honored to support it,” Manley said in a press release.

Manley is not moving far for her new role — she currently serves as the inaugural director of the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs’ Technology and Public Purpose Project, also based at HKS. The project aims to guide rapidly developing technologies toward directions that serve the public interest.

At TAPP, Manley has focused on improving government members’ expertise in science and technology to better inform their policy decisions, testifying before Congress twice on her research in this area. Manley also launched a variety of fellowships, publications, awards, and policy resources including the TAPP Fellowship, Tech Fact Sheets for Policymaker Series, and the Tech Spotlight.

Manley will succeed Setti D. Warren, who departed the Shorenstein Center earlier this year to serve as the executive director of HKS’s Institute of Politics.

While Manley currently works on the information ecosystem and technology policy, she began her career leading a mental health advocacy and awareness organization. She went on to co-found the Center for Open Data Enterprise in Washington D.C., a nonprofit focused on open data access.

In an email announcing Manley’s appointment, Shorenstein Center Director Nancy Gibbs wrote that she was “excited” to welcome Manley at this “pivotal time for the Center.”

“Laura’s keen intellect, leadership experience, and human-centered approach to the challenges and possibilities of our modern era will help guide the Shorenstein Center forward in this period of growth and innovation,” Gibbs wrote.

— Staff writer Eric Yan can be reached at eric.yan@thecrimson.com.

ResearchHarvard Kennedy SchoolUniversityUniversity NewsFront Middle Feature