Women Taking Home the Hardware

By B. Marjorie Gullick, Crimson Staff Writer

Aside from last weekend’s upset win by the men’s lacrosse team over No. 6 Princeton, it has been the Harvard women who have been making headlines lately. Dominating the Ivy League in a pair of sports are three Crimson ladies, who have taken home some of the highest honors the Ancient Eight has to offer this week.

Freshman standouts Jennifer VanderMeulen and Katie Sylvan were unanimously voted as Ivy League Rookie of the Year in lacrosse and golf, respectively, and each garnered first-team All Ivy honors. Sylvan’s teammate, sophomore Christine Cho, earned second-team All Ivy honors but took home the title of Ivy League Player of the Year based on her performance throughout the season.

VanderMeulen currently tops the Ancient Eight and sits sixth in the nation in goals per game with 3.64. The attacker has scored 51 goals and tallied eight assists to earn her league honors and help carry Harvard to a 7-7 season.

Sylvan and Cho led their teams to four first-place finishes, a pair of dual-competition wins against Lynn and Central Florida, and a third-place finish at the Ivy League Championships last weekend.

Although the men’s side of athletics has had its fair share of success this year, one must, as Abigail Adams once put it, “remember the ladies.”

Sports Blog