Ivy Power Dynamic Shifting

By Christina C. Mcclintock, Crimson Staff Writer

While Cornell may have become the Ivy League media darling with its recent success in men’s basketball and both men’s and women’s hockey, many in Cambridge haven’t been quite so enthused about the Big Red’s recent success.

Cornell’s success against the Crimson certainly hasn’t been making it any more popular.

But while the Big Red may have been the most dominating squad in the Ancient Eight recently, Harvard still reigns supreme on the water, as the No. 4 heavyweight men’s crew team swept the No. 11 Big Red today on Cayuga Lake Inlet.

The varsity eight, second varsity eight, freshman eight, and second freshman eight all crossed the line ahead of Cornell.  The third varsity eight finished two seconds behind the Big Red, but took the victory after Cornell was disqualified for interference.

While the Crimson’s success may not cancel out the heartbreak from losses in the aforementioned winter sports, Harvard’s success on the water signals the beginning of a new season, with the Ivy League once again wide open. And considering that the Big Red’s No. 6 men’s lacrosse team just fell to Dartmouth, it may be time for a new school to take control of the Ancient Eight.

Men's CrewSports Blog