Stanford Athletes Directed to Easy Classes

By Yoan D. N'Komba, Contributing Writer

Even in what an anonymous senior has called "possibly the jokiest semester at Harvard yet," the Crimson’s athletes often have to rely on hearsay and history to find light courses with their already busy schedules. Team lists, Facebook threads, and text messages are all used to balance the demands of critical coaches and courses.

When picking comfortable concentrations, less jarring general education courses, or easy electives, some teammates may flock to seniors and captains for how to navigate through arguably the most challenging curriculum this country has to offer.

Some 3,000 miles away, in the calm repose of California, Stanford’s athletes have been lucky enough to go to a school which does this for them.

Every quarter since 2001, the University’s Athletic Academic Resource Center has come out with a list of options, titled "Courses of Interest", sure to be low in the work category and chock full of other athletes to better accommodate for afternoon practices and away trips.

Interestingly enough, more than 200 courses, which still fit in between the golden hours of 10am to 1pm and never met on weekends, were left off the list.

Even strangers is the fact that most of this has been done in secrecy. Besides athletes and the athletic staff, most Stanford students and administrators have been largely unaware of the list’s existence.

Wondering what was actually on this holy grail for one of the country’s top-tier programs? Courses like a drama class in Beginning Improvising, Social Dances in North America III, and dozens more of easy electives for general education.

Expecting Harvard to follow suit? Don’t count on it. Stanford has been said to have discontinued the list after reporters began to inquire into it last week.

Keep dreaming, Crimson.

Sports Blog