Harvard Alum Lin to Host Summer Camp

By E. Benjamin Samuels, Crimson Staff Writer

Countless greats have already done it. Fred McGriff has done it. John Calipari has done it.

This year, Jeremy Lin '10 gets his first shot at hosting a summer camp.

The camp, which runs from June 27 to July 1, is hosted by Palo Alto High School and is open to first through 12th graders.

It focuses, of course, on training in the fundamentals of basketball. But for the non-NBA aspirants among the group, the bigger prize might be the plethora of Lin gear and memorabilia that comes with the $350 camp fee.

Given that a high school gymnasium is hosting the camp, enrollment figures presumably are not expected to be too high.

But although Lin spent most of his rookie season on the bench, he developed a strong following in San Francisco. As the first Asian-American to play in the NBA in the better part of six decades, he gathered significant fan support in a city with a large Asian community.

Lin ended his season on a high note, scoring 12 points with five rebounds and five assists in the final game of the season. But his role on the team remains uncertain in the coming years.

At the very least, he gets to look forward to a week of eager grade-schoolers this summer vacation.

Men's BasketballSports Blog