Day 2 at the London Olympics: Davies, Lofgren, and Newell All Advance

Caryn Davies '05 (far left) and Esther Lofgren '09 (third from right) pose with Team USA at the Olympic training facility in Princeton, N.J.
By Alexander Koenig, Crimson Staff Writer

The second day of the 2012 London Olympic Games proved more fruitful for the cadre of competing Harvard students and alums than the first. The lone highlight of day one was rower Brodie Buckland’s ’06 (Australia) qualification for the semifinals in the pair. After rowers Will Newell ’11 (USA) and Malcolm Howard ’05 (Canada) failed to qualify for the semifinals of the lightweight four and men’s eight, respectively, and British basketball player Temi Fagbenle ’15 put up just four points in a disappointing opening game loss to Australia, things were looking bleak for the Crimson.

But two impressive rows by American crews propelled three Harvard Olympians onto the next stage. Newell, rowing in the repechage, and his three boat-mates won their race, narrowly edging out Italy by less than a second to advance to the semifinals on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Caryn Davies ’05 and Esther Lofgren ’09 extended the dominance of the United States in the women’s eight, advancing to the finals with a healthy six-second victory over second place Australia. The women will look to defend their Olympic title in the final on Thursday. Also advancing to the final is Canada, considered the biggest threat to the Americans' title defense.

Former and current Crimson athletes continue to compete tomorrow, with Howard taking part in the men’s eight repechage and Henrik Rummel ’09 (USA) starting his first Olympics with the heats of the mean’s four. Fagbenle returns to the court to take on Canada.

Men's CrewWomen's CrewAlumniOlympics