Around the Ivies Update

By Kelley Guinn McArtor, Crimson Staff Writer

Every week, The Back Page will look at the week to come ahead in Ivy Sports as well as news and notes from around the league. In this week's episode, Kelley Guinn McArtor takes a lot at critical upcoming matchups in the Ivy League.

This week’s athletic schedule is Ivy-filled to the brim, with big Ancient Eight contests occurring in basketball and ice hockey, both men’s and women’s.

While Harvard men’s basketball (10-6) matches up against Yale (7-12) and Brown (7-9) at home this Friday and Saturday, the Crimson women’s team will be traveling to play the Bulldogs (6-10) and the Bears (7-9) on the road.

Princeton (8-7) trails close behind Harvard in the Ancient Eight men’s basketball standings, coming in at number two overall. The Tigers will face off against Cornell (9-10) and Columbia (9-7) in New York on Friday and Saturday, respectively. The contests precede the Crimson’s identical double-header versus the Big Red and the Lions next weekend.

Harvard men’s ice hockey hits the road this Friday to compete against Rensselaer (8-11-5), but other Ivy League squads will face off this weekend. Princeton (7-8-4) journeys to both No. 8 Yale (12-5-3) and Brown (6-9-4), and the Tiger women’s ice hockey team will also matchup against Yale and Brown this weekend at Hobey Baker Rink in Princeton.

On Saturday, the Cornell men’s hockey team will go for its 11th straight Ivy League title against Columbia, having won every Ivy League match it contested since February 2002, with Sunday marking the 11-year anniversary of the feat.

In other Ivy news …

- The NFLPA recently announced a $100 million deal with Harvard University that will serve as funding for a Harvard study on causes and treatments for players’ injuries and illnesses

- The Brown women’s ice hockey team hosted a Score for Survivors fundraiser at Meehan Auditorium on January 21st that raised over $6,000 for leukemia survivors

- Senior Yale women’s hockey player Alyssa Zupon was named as one of 11 nominees for the 2013 BNY Mellon Wealth Management Hockey Humanitarian Award; The award seeks to honor “college hockey’s finest citizens”

Sports Blog