Men's Hockey: Russian Red Stars Preview

Jimmy Vesey leads the Crimson with nine goals and 17 points through 12 games this season.
By Michael D. Ledecky, Crimson Staff Writer

After a 22-day break, the No. 4/4 Harvard men’s ice hockey team (9-1-2, 5-1-2 ECAC) will carry the nation’s highest winning percentage into an exhibition against the Russian Red Stars at the Bright-Landry Hockey Center on Sunday. Here’s what you need to know about the game.

Who are the Russian Red Stars?

The Red Stars are an all-star team of 17-to-21-year-old players from the Molodezhnaya Hokkeinaya Liga (MHL). That’s Russian for “Junior Hockey League."

Founded in 2009 to serve as the primary developmental circuit for the Kontinental Hockey League, the MHL currently consists of 39 clubs in seven countries (Russia-32 teams, Belarus-2, Austria-1, Czech Republic-1, Kazakhstan-1, Latvia-1, and Ukraine-1).

MHL all-star teams have faced off against North American collegiate and junior squads in late December and early January every year since 2010-2011. Through the 2013-2014 season, the Red Stars are 3-14 all-time against American college teams.

What to Watch For

Harvard will use the exhibition as an opportunity to tune up for intercollegiate play and, maybe, work some new faces into the rotation.

Sunday could offer Harvard fans their first look at freshman goaltender Merrick Madsen. The solid—and sometimes brilliant—play of junior Steve Michalek has kept the 6’5” Philadelphia Flyers pick on the bench all season. Michalek’s .944 save percentage is third among Division I goaltenders.

A number of skaters will likely come off the scratch lists. The biggest question mark remains first-line sophomore center Alex Kerfoot, who missed Harvard’s Princeton-Quinnipiac road trip with a reportedly minor injury.

Sophomore defenseman Victor Newell and junior forward Colin Blackwell have been in-and-out of the line up since coming off injured reserve, so the duo may use the exhibition to test its ability to remain on the ice. Sunday could also mark the return of sophomore defenseman Kevin Guiltinan, who has appeared in just one game since injuring his back during a preseason weight lift.

Leading Scorers

Sunday’s game will not count towards the Crimson’s official stats, but Jimmy Vesey will try to keep his scoring streak alive on the other side of the break. The junior forward has scored at least a point in all 12 of Harvard’s games this season and leads the team with nine goals and 17 points.

Maintaining that clip could be a challenge for Vesey, who had eight goals through his first 12 games last season before being held to five goals through his final 19. Harvard’s steady and consistent start to this season, however, suggests that a different result may be in order in 2015.

Junior Patrick McNally, meanwhile, leads all Division I defensemen with 1.25 points per game and is tied with Kerfoot for the team lead in assists (11).

Through 31 games last season, Crimson defensemen had combined for a conference-worst four goals as a unit. This season, McNally alone has already matched that figure, while junior co-captain Max Everson, sophomore Clay Anderson, and junior Brayden Jaw have also found the back of the net from the blue line.

Last Time Out

The Crimson routed the Red Stars, 9-3, powered by five straight first-period goals at the Bright-Landry Hockey Center on Dec. 29, 2013.

Vesey recorded a hat trick and an assist, while Kerfoot also contributed four points with a goal and three helpers. Twelve Harvard skaters recorded at least one point.

PreviewsMen's Ice HockeySports Blog